Cannot read Nikon RAW files

I cannot get Photoshop or Lightroom to open and read RAW (.nef) files from a Nikon D7500.  Latest updates have been applied. 

View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Cannot read Nikon RAW files

I cannot get Photoshop or Lightroom to open and read RAW (.nef) files from a Nikon D7500.  Latest updates have been applied. 

View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
Correct Answer by JimHess
Adobe Community Professional
| Adobe Community Professional

If all of your Adobe software is truly up to date then there is no reason that it should not open the NEF files from the D7500. My concern would be that the Nikon Transfer software is creating a problem as it has in the past. Try just using File Explorer, or simply use the Lightroom import dialog to import your images and see if that fixes the problem. Apologize for stepping in on another discussion, but hope this might help.

15 Replies

Re: Cannot read Nikon RAW files

Adobe Community Professional, Dec 10, 2018

HI John,

How are you trying to do this?

(Forgive me if I'm writing like you are not knowledgeable about any of the following, you very well may be but I do not know this yet.)

Neither LR nor PS can "open" a raw file. What happens is that in the case of PS, the nef file is first opened by Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) which translates the raw data into information that PS knows how to deal with. From within the ACR window, after you've adjusted the file as much as you want to, there is an option on the bottom right to "Open" the file into PS.

In a completely different manner, you "Import" all images into LR so the LR catalog can catalog all of the changes that were made in that file. All processing of any image (jpg, tif, raw) are done from within the LR environment.

I'm keeping this brief right now to find out where you are and what you are expecting.

Let us know,

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thank you, Gary.  I am kind of new to Ps and Lr, so no apologies necessary.  So, is there something called "Adobe Camera Raw" that I must install? I'm not seeing an "open in ACR"-type option anywhere?

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

The D7500 has been supported since Lightroom 6 .12 and Camera Raw 9.12. What version of Lightroom the you have, and what version of Photoshop do you have?

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay I was away from the computer.

Is it safe to assume that you are using one of the Photoshop Plans? And if so, can I assume that you are accessing both PS and Lightroom Classic?

If so, (I hope) you have the ACC (Adobe Creative Cloud) application somewhere on your computer. On my Mac it shows up in the very top region with other computer add-ons like DropBox, speaker volume, and the time.

If you click on that you can see if either of your applications need to be updated and on the very bottom of that dropdown list should be your ACR status. On the very bottom, does it show anything like what you see below? If not, download it.

acc.png

Once it's installed, at that point, if you double-click a raw file, it will open up in ACR first. Than you can do your initial adjustments and if you still want to open it up in PS, you can do so.'

The best way to describe Lightroom is that it is ACR with a database. However, while it is fairly easy to use, the original setup and how to use is way beyond what can be done with a simple response here. As such I'll let you first go to the following page and start from the very beginning. LR is a fantastic application and I use it all the time.

Lightroom Classic tutorials | Learn how to use Lightroom Classic CC

Let us know how you work out!

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Yes, Gary, I purchased a Photoshop plan, installed it last week, and the CC shortcut on my desktop.  The Camera Raw CC says 'up to date' just like your screen capture, but my attempts to open a .nef all return the same 'can't open this file' result.  I'm anxious to begin learning and using Lr and Ps, but I'd also like to begin working with some of the .nef files I've already amassed.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Have you tried double-clicking the nef files? It SHOULD open up ACR automatically. I wonder if there's something wrong with your instillation?

As an insert here, what operating system are you using and which version?

Meanwhile, I would like you to download one more application, Adobe Bridge. It is also included with the Photoshop Plan (but it's not flashy-showy so it doesn't get all the press). Simply, Adobe Bridge is an image viewer and lets you see all of your images before starting to open them up.

Digital asset management software | Download free Adobe Bridge CC trial

The reason why I'm suggesting this is that it SHOULD be very easy to your nef files from Bridge. IF you're still having issues, than there is something wrong with your instillation and you MAY need to Uninstall PS and re-install.

After installing Bridge, open a folder in Bridge that has nef files. Double-click on one of these. If nothing happens, right-click on one of the nef files and select Open in Camera Raw. If you do not see that, than there is probably something wrong with your instillation.

2018-12-10_1442.png

IF YOU NEED TO REMOVE AND REPLACE PHOTOSHOP

IMPORTANT: do not simply place PS or the PS folder in the trash. within the PS folder is an application called "Uninstall PS." Use that. Then re-install by going to the ACC app and select "Install" from the dropdown menu.

Sorry for the delay but I've been busy this morning, keep in touch!

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thank you once again, Gary.  I had already loaded Bridge and nothing is working the way you describe.  I think my next troubleshooting step involves uninstalling and re-installing some SW.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi  John,

Just to verify, what is your operating system and which version?

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Sorry, Gary, I intended to answer that question earlier; I'm using Win 10.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

OK, the one thing I was a bit concerned about was if you were using an older operating system, it might have been an issue that parts of the release installed but shouldn't have.

Win 10 should be working fine, I go back to the evil dread: uninstall and reinstall.

Good luck

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines