• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2 texts and a multiple choice

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to this quiz stuff.  I want to display a PDF onscreen, ask them for a document type and date of document (both text entry fields), and several yes/no questions (8 to be precise - I figure multiple choice works for that).

I've gotten it to work by displaying the PDF on 3 screens and asking for the type, date, and yes/nos on their own slide.  I figure I can combine the two text fields on one slide, but I can't find any way to ask for all of the information on one slide.

Is there any way to get 2 test fields and multiple choice questions on the same slide?

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Please update to 11.5.5.553.

Do you want to create eLearning? 100PDFs?? Very weird.

You cannot add Text Entry Boxes to a quiz slide. But you can create a custom question slide using Text Entry boxes; and eventually use checkbox images, or radiobutton images used as buttons. There are two static Learning Interactions labeled that way, but since they are static they do not have an automatic scoring functionality as is the case for any type of button. You would need advanced or shared actions with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You forgot to give some details:

• Which exact version number are you using. You find it under Help, About Captivate.
  • Do you want to score the different actions to be done by the learner?
  • Do you need to transfer the score to a LMS? Or is it only meant as Knowledge check, eventually showing the resulting points?

You can use Text Entry Boxes, multiple ones on a slide. Each Text Entry Box can be scored. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using v2019 (11.5.1.499).

So as I originally stated, I'm going to show them a PDF file, and ask for 2 field entry fields and a series of yes/no questions.  Based on those entries, the problem is either considered right or wrong.  I'm going to show them between 50 and 100 PDF files.

The problem I have is I can't show 2 text entry boxes AND a series of checkboxes on the same slide.  When I choose a Multiple Choice Quiz slide, it blocks the option of a text entry field.

Yes, I do want to send the scores to an LMS, and I will not give them their score or what they got right or wrong until the assessment is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update to 11.5.5.553.

Do you want to create eLearning? 100PDFs?? Very weird.

You cannot add Text Entry Boxes to a quiz slide. But you can create a custom question slide using Text Entry boxes; and eventually use checkbox images, or radiobutton images used as buttons. There are two static Learning Interactions labeled that way, but since they are static they do not have an automatic scoring functionality as is the case for any type of button. You would need advanced or shared actions with some user variables as well.

Since you are new to Captivate's quizzes this may be over you head however. It looks like even basics of quiz slides are unknown.

This forum is to help you solve problems, which I would like to do. But it looks like you need training in the first place.

In the document included in this post, you'll find links to about 30 articles I wrote about quizzes:

Quiz Resources - eLearning (adobe.com)

Text Entry Boxes - basics in:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/text-entry-boxes-back-to-basics

All scored objects and quiz slides can be viewed in this panel which gives you a complete overview:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-interaction-panel-q-and-a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually an exam.  They have to be able to examine scanned documents to put them in the proper place in a folder, and decide what follow ups need to be done with them.  That's why there is an enormous quantity of PDF files, we need to know that the employee can successfully analyze the variety of documents we get.

I have made quizzes before, so I'm not a complete newbie.  I have yet to make any kind of custom quiz, however.  I've always relied on the automated features in Captivate to complete these quizzes.  In fact, I've already completed a mock exam for this problem, but I had to put the yes/no options on a separate page, which I was trying to avoid.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible if you know how to handle advanced/shared actions. JS is of course an alternative as well. The complexity will depend on the level you want to replicate all the features of the default question slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most cases it is best to avoid trying to cram too much functionality onto a single Captivate slide.  Trying to do so can lead you down lots of rabbit holes.

I would suggest you have an initial slide that explains what the learner needs to do and perhaps also gives them the opportunity to open the PDF file and inspect contents in order to decide where it should be stored.  Make sure the link to this PDF opens it in a separate window, NOT the same window as the course, otherwise your learner will find themselves locked out.

Once the learner closes down the PDF window, there should be a button that allows them to progress to the next slide where they can indicate the proper storage for the file.  You could have this button hidden when the learner first enters the slide but then get revealed by the same Advanced Action that opens the PDF.  This will make the button available ONLY after they have clicked the link to open the PDF, forcing them to view it first.

If there are other decisions the learner must make, add these on another slide.  The general rule of thumb is to limit each slide to one major decision.  This also has the advantage of allowing you to track that the learner has completed all steps in the decision-making task. 

This approach requires more slides, but it gives greater control and is a lot easier to maintain because it spreads the complexity over multiple slides instead of using just one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rod, I have the PDF pop open on the same slide as the questions.  Opening the PDF in a seperate window can lead to great confusion, especially if they forget to close one and open the new one.

So, after an intro slide, it pops open the first PDF, and asks which document type it is (fill in)

After typing that in, and they hit Submit, it goes to the next slide, and displays the same PDF.  It then asks what the date of the document is (fill in).

After submitting that, it pops open the same PDF for a third time, then asks several yes/no question (multiple choice slide).

After submitting this, a new PDF pops open and the process starts all over again.

The way I have it set up works, and I'm fine leaving it that way.  I just thought it might be better to combine those 3 slides into 1.  I'm now rethinking that, and I think I'll leave it as is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources