Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ability to download an audio file

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ULTIMATE GOAL:
We want to create something like a podcast using Captivate by allowing the learner to listen within the course (which I can create) but also want the ability to make the audio file availble for downloading so the end-user can choose to download it to a different device (like a phone or iPod) and listen later while traveling.

CHALLENGE:
With all the bad actors trying to hack and hijack corporate systems, my company has severely limited our use of external storage systems.  We can continue using our LMS but something like the Google Cloud is  an unavailable option.  So I don't think the Action of "Open URL or file" is what will work. 

QUESTION:
I'm hoping there is something I'm missing that allows the ability to download a file (specifically an MP3 in this case) from the published Captivate module.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Here is a solution to your challenge (I think): https://youtu.be/m-z_qe_ezfQ

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Upload your content to a web server, intranet server, or LMS.  I think you will find it works then.

HTML5 is meant to be delivered from a web server environment, not played directly from a hard drive or LAN drive folder.  Certain things just will not work without that web server environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't force download of an audio file, the brwser won't let that happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For clarity, you used the word "force" but I never implied that in my description.  Maybe you are using that term in a way I am unfamiliar with.  I don't want to FORCE it.  I want to make it available if the listener chooses to later load it to a different device.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I meant is that the browser won't allow it. THe only way I know how to do it would be to zip the audio file, then they could download it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a solution to your challenge (I think): https://youtu.be/m-z_qe_ezfQ

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my solution you have a three dot icon that allows for downloading the audio file as well as listening to it in the elearning course.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul...thank you for pointing me to that video.  That is what I was hoping to find, but... it doesn't work for me the same way it did in your demo/example:  

1) When I preview it, the audio won't play; it is grayed out or inactive

2) When I go over the 3 vertical dots on the right, I only get the option to change player speed.  No download option.

I'm not sure whether the browswer makes a difference but I have been using Chrome.  And I'm using Captivate 2019 11.5.5.553 so pretty sure that isn't the issue.  But now that I know it is possible, I have been searching for similar HTML code examples that might work. 

I did find code that only provides a DOWNLOAD link, which is great.  I much prefer your solution of having a player AND the download all in one.  But if I can figure out how to get the PLAYER to work, I'll be very happy.

You definintely got me out of the hole, so thank you for that!  Now I need to get the pieces to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(One more update.)  I just discovered that the 3-dot dropdown actually DOES provide the "DOWNLOAD" option.  But the audio player isn't showing it.  Clicking the 3-dots makes the two options available but is only displaying the 2nd of the two.  I can use the up arrow to navigate to the option that is higher than shown.  So now I'm onto figuring out THAT mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could vary by browser. I believe I was using Chrome in the video. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more update:  The code for the PLAYER plays the audio but does not provide the DOWNLOAD functionality in the 3 vertical dots; I only have playback speed controls.  I found and used some HTML code for downloading a file.  This code worked great in PREVIEW mode, and it worked after publishing and given the option to SEE MY OUTPUT NOW. 

But when I launch the program from the published folder using the "index.html" link, the DOWNLOAD looks fine until you click it.  At that point it turns into a weirdly corrupted player and only plays the audio file.  So I am still trying to figure this problem out.

I am currently asking my company resources for assistance.  If I find anything out, I will again post a follow up message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload your content to a web server, intranet server, or LMS.  I think you will find it works then.

HTML5 is meant to be delivered from a web server environment, not played directly from a hard drive or LAN drive folder.  Certain things just will not work without that web server environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there is any way to integrate it with the open cms moodle? 

Hôtesse de l'air maroc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YES!  THAT DID IT!  What I had built was correct (starting from Paul's advice), but I never loaded it into our LMS because it never seemed to be working.  We loaded it... tested it... and the download worked PERFECTLY.  Great advice, Rod.  Thank you SO much.

The original player works for playing the audio but it still doesn't display the download function after hitting the 3 vertical dots.  The option to "Download" seems to be there but isn't displayed.  Knowing that, I can provide a seperate download link and provide a great workable podcasting solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources