Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Captivate and support of Internet Explorer

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a System Administrator of our company's LMS. First some background:

We received word that some other authoring tools that are used in our LMS will be unviewable in IE as of July 1, 2022 and we are trying to come up with a plan to address this. I'm wondering if our Captivate modules will also be unviewable. Our default browser is IE due to some legacy applications, but I'm also finding out what their timeline for change out from IE to Chrome/Edge is. We already addressed the obvious flash issues, but if it worked in IE or Chrome it wasn't touched. So I'm also trying to triage our over 4000 modules to determine if any need to be updated now versus later. I'm not finding any documentation for some questions I have. 

1. How long will Adobe Captivate built eLearning modules be viewable in Internet Explorer? 
  2. Did Adobe Captivate have versions that published to Flash/HTML5 or HTML5/Flash?
  3. What were the versions or what was timeframe?
  4. Is there a way to tell what version of Captivate was used, without having the source files? 

Thank you for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even the present version was meant to publish both to SWF and HTML5 but after the demise of the Flash Player it has no sense to publish to SWF anymore. 

IE is not a good browser for HTML output since it is much more limited for HTML support than up to date browsers. Even MS itself doesn't really support IE since a while and it is completely gone in Windows 11.

You third question has no sense because is covered by my answer to your second question.

If the exisiting projects were published to HTML, you'll find the Captivate version number in the .txt which is created within the output folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree; however, use of IE is out of my hands. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that Captivate 2019 is now 3 years ole, its HTML5 content does still work in IE11.  If you keep using Captivate 2019 you should still be able to create content viewable on your current system with IE.  Just ONLY publishe to HTML5, not to SWF and you should be fine.

However, that might not be the case with the next version of Captivate (whenever it comes out).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I myself do not have access to Captivate. I'm only trying to triage what courses will need to be dealt with. Is there a way to tell what version of Captivate was used? I can see the page and frame source code (that's how I can tell with Articulate). We did not have central storage of source files in place for most of these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in regards to your Question

1. Is there a way to tell what version of Captivate was used, without having the source files? 

If you have access to the publish folder of a Captivate project, there's in the root folder a file called project.txt. When you open this in a text editor, right on top you'll find:

{"metadata":{"generator":"Captivate","generatorVersion":"11.5.5", ...

or earlier version numbers (as of today).

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Klaus! That is helpful for some of the modules. Thank you everyone for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources