• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Captivate closed caption *position* changes don't always stick

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm using 2019/Classic. I've been having to make some changes to the position of closed captions - both project-wide and for individual slides. I'm finding that sometimes when I change the x or y percentage and save the changes, the position is then completely different when I run a preview. When I go back and look at the settings again, the setting I changed is now completely different.

For example, I may change the X field from 30 to 10 on a slide or on the project and then do the save and close routine, but when I go back into the settings, the x now says 55. Or 30. Or 50. It seems pretty random. I find that if I keep trying, eventually what I type sticks, but it's a lot of extra time and I can't figure out the pattern to when this happens or doesn't.  I've tried a variety of things like making sure I tab out of the X field before I save in case the focus needs to change to another field in order for the field to retain my entry. Sometimes that works, sometimes not.

I haven't found this issue mentioned anywhere in the forums, so I'm especially confounded. I know the difference between Project and Slide settings, and I know that I can't cut/paste cc content from Word without risking formatting craziness, but this position issue I can't figure out. Also, I've had the position re-set appear when I "preview x number of slides" but not in when I preview in HTML5. 

Anybody got any ideas what could be going on? Are there any best practices I should try?

Many thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some questions...

Which exact version are you using? From the long question I can suspect it is NOT 11.8.2 which is Captivate Classic. CP2019 covers three main releases and a lot of patch releases. The full version number is under Help, About Captivate.

All Preview methods (this is why I know it is not 11.8.2) in a non-responsive project (another suspicion) are based on SWF technology except F11, Preview HTML in Browser. The other methods cannot be trusted because they never show HTML output.

Since you apparently did not test yet after publishing, the queston 'Scalable HTML' makes no sense yet.

Which fonts do you use and which browser(s) for testing preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My suggestion is that when you are changing the Closed Captions settings in the Skin Editor, the very first thing you should ALWAYS do it go to the dropdown and change it from whatever slide it says to say Project.  Then any changes you make should be getting applied to the entire project and should overwrite any settings on individual slides.  Once you have done that, if at any time you are changing settings again and you notice the Reset to Project button is enabled, that is a clue that you are changing only the settings on your currently selected slide/s.

I also recommend you select the checkbox for Override Slide-level settings with Project settings.  That should also help to make everything more consistent.  There are only very rare instances where you would ever need the captions to vary from slide to slide.  (I've never needed that in 20 years of creating e-learning.)

Good to hear that you are never pasting directly from MS Word or some other app that is not plain text

The very latest versions of Captivate Classic no longer have the option for Previewing X number of slides.  This was removed because it was using a Flash component to display the content, and therefore cannot be trusted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources