• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advanced Actions changing

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, I am having issues with advanced actions. I have set them up and when I revisit they dont work. I have noticed it adds a _ and random number. Feel like I am redoing a lot of work to end up in the same place. Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Please show a screenshot of the advanced action. My suspicion is that you are using the same name for an action and another object or variable. Captivate requires that each name is unique. Your explanation points in that direction. If you want to use a similar action for multiple events, in some cases it may be better to use a shared action instead of duplicate advanced actions.

Please check the names of the buttons, variables, objects. Do NOT use the same name for an advanced or shared action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe sounds a lot like you've been copying and pasting your objects that are participants in the advanced action.

All objects need to have a unique name so when you copy one and paste it - it'll get a new name such as

myObject_2

So if your advanced action references myObject - it will not work.

If you're copying entire projects - I would make the project - save - then when you want to make a new project simply save the same project as a new name and the names won't change. Of course, you'll need to make other edits to the project but at least you can bypass all the renaming.

If you're within the same project, you might try setting the timing of the object to  Rest of Project  so that it appears on each slide but does not get a new name as it is the same object. That may introduce other challenges depending on what you are trying to do but perhaps this will help you a little.

If I have misunderstood your issue - please do elaborate a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot of the advanced action. My suspicion is that you are using the same name for an action and another object or variable. Captivate requires that each name is unique. Your explanation points in that direction. If you want to use a similar action for multiple events, in some cases it may be better to use a shared action instead of duplicate advanced actions.

Please check the names of the buttons, variables, objects. Do NOT use the same name for an advanced or shared action. 

When a copy is generated a number is added, which is NOT random but follows a logic. That is to prevent using same name multiple times.

See also http://blog.lilybiri.com/tip-1-labeling-advanced-slash-shared-actions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, sorry for the late reply. It was the name of the variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same principle applies.  Variable names also have to be unique.  If you are cutting and pasting a slide or object from one Captivate project to another and there are Advanced Actions and Variables involved with the possibility of a programming conflict, then Captivate will automatically take action to ensure no variables, actions or objects end up with the same name.  It's just protecting the project from corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources