Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Back button not working as intended.

New Here ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, hope all is well. 

Im working on a project where I would need to add a back button to go back to the previous slide, I wanted it to be hiding and goes on when roll over and stays for the rest of the project.

I've added an image as button and set the action to go to the last slide visited and also tried go back to the previous slide. However, it doesnt work as intended as it triggers the failure from the click box on the same slide. It works if there are no clickbox on the slide. Can someone please suggest a solution. Thank you.

Please see attached video of whats happening. Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you want the back button to appear for the rest of the project, that is something you can set in the "Timing" properties for the button, or as an alternative, you could add the button to a Master Slide.   Although if its initailly "hidden" how would you know that the back button was there?

If the clickbox is being triggered, then its possible that you have made the clickbox is "in front" of other objects/interactions on the slide or too large that it covers the other interactions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thanks for the reponse. Yes its currently staying for the rest of the project. I havent tried adding it to the master slide, will try that. Since its a software simulation project, Im avoiding to add a static button as its causing the content's experience but still giving the learner an opportunity to use a hidden back button if they missed few captions they need to read again. They will know about it as I will be putting a Hint at the start that they can hover their mouse on the corner if required etc. 

I've toggled (place the object on top) and make sure that it is at the front of everything. and it works well if there are no click box on the same slide.

So Im not sure if I need to do something on the click box or change the back button to execute advanced action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries.  It may be a timing issue with the button(s) being used and the clickbox.

Do they exist for the same amount of time on the timeline of the slide?  

Have you set the "Pause After" option for the button?  Clickboxes don't have this option and only pause if you have the option "Pause project until user clicks" sleected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Astro for the response again. I have updated my post and simplified it (I will figure out later on how hide the button) kindly see the updated post and attachment and Yes, it exist with the same amount of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, lets ignore the fact that its hidden. so theres two button on the slide. one is the click box that proceed to the next slide and the other one is the image button which appears every slide (or possible set to stay for the rest of the project) and has the action go back to the previous slide.

please the attached video and timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the video and image that helps.  

You need to set the image button that you are going to be using as your "Back" button to have "Timing" for the "Rest of the Project".

Because you will also have other interacions on the slide, the image should not be set to "Pause After" a set time in the "Timing" properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks and apologies for a bunch of attachments.

I've just tried that but it seems it is ignoring the fact that I'm clicking the back button and wants to go back to the previous slide/last visited. Please see updated attachments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One suggestion about your click box on the slide.  You need to remember that by default a click box object will have two possible events that can be configured to fire an action. 

If the user clicks on the hit area of the click box then the On Success event is triggered and will execute whatever is set as the Success action.  But if the same click box is NOT set to Infinite Attempts and detects a click outside the hit area, then it will execute whatever action is assigned to the ON Last Attempt event.   

From the problem you described earlier, it sounds as if you may not have set the click box up to ignore any clicks except those that are on the hit area.  You can easily do this by setting it to Infinite Attempts or by setting the ON Last Attempt action to No Action.  If I am correct, that would explain why the click box is executing some action when your user is clicking the navigation button and not the click box itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rodward, thanks for the response. that makes sense why back doesnt work as it reads as outside of the hit area of the clickbox. I dont know how can I set the click box to ignore the area for back button as I need to limit the attempts to have the set action continue to show the learner the correctc answer (mouse and highlight)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It ay be the Actions that you are performing.  The ClickBox should just be set to "Continue" and the "Back" button "go to prevoius slide".

I have re-created the slide from the attachment, this should work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses @RodWard and @Astro The Goat . The slides originally created to have a success going to the next slide and if the learner fails then it will continue activating the mouse and highlight to show the learner the correct. However, I've received a request that if its possible to add a back button incase of a learner want to read again the previous slide. 

So as @RodWard suggest, do I need to change the clickboxes last attempt on every slide, instead of "continue" to have an advanced conditional action? (like if the user clicks on the back button (go back previous slide) otherwise, continue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You should set the ClickBox to " Infinite Attempts" and "On Success" should be set to "Continue".  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Astro, but I need to limit the click box to two attempts, so if the learner fails to click it, it will then continue the slide (mouse and highlight). I cannot set the success to continue as well, as it will always show the mouse and highlight. So generally, if the learner click the clickbox correctly, slide doesnt need to show the mouse and highlight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, in that case, you should make the "On Success" action - "Go to the Next Slide".  Set the Attempts to "2" and the "Last Attempt" to "Continue".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thats how I did originally but doesnt work well with the back button as seen on the settings on my screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you selected "Place Object on Top" in the "Timing" properties of the Back button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've selected that Astro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any reason why you used navigation to the last slide visited instead of previous slide? It is possible to get in a loop with Last Slide visited, but doesn't explain why the button disappears. I prefer to have such a button on master slides myself. Did you keep the pausing point for that button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri thanks for the response, I have no reason, just trying out which one works. Please see attached image below, that what Im trying to do, I thought it would be easy than it looks but getting confused how to pull this one. I dont know if I should look on finding a solution with variables and advanced conditional action. also a video that a back button doesnt work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two interactive objects, only the click box has a pausing point.

How many attempts do you allow for both? If it is not infinite, make sure to have the Last attempt set to No action. To avoid the problem signalled by Rod, put a click box covering the whole slide below all other objects, Infinite attempts and 'No action' as action.  Personally I avoid click boxes completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response again. Yes the clickbox has the only pausing point and the back image as button was set to stay for the rest of the project and has infinite attempts. while the clickbox has 2 attempts as after that if the learner has fail, it will continue the slide and now show the mouse and highlight box to point the correct answer (clickbox). Its working properly (clicking the correct area and if not it will show the correct answer (mouse and highlight) not until they want me to add a back button incase a learner wants to go back to the previous slide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri, I tried to set it to no action and infinite attempts just to check it works. the back image as button still doesnt work with a action set on 'go back to previous slide'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lilybiri @RodWard @Astro The Goat , Since I'm trying to modiy an existing project. and cannot see what you are pointing out, then I realise to create a new project from scratch, and differentiate the click boxes. the old one which im modifying has 'include to quiz' toggled, which works well not until I tried to add a back button. turns out. turning that off solves the issue. Im just wondering what is the reason for that? and also is there a way to turn off the (include to quiz) in all slide easily? (eg. I got 300 slides). Thanks all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

The option to "Include in Quiz" would not affect the order of events on the slide timeline, so if its working  now, it must be how you have placed the back button on the slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources