• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bookmarking Resume Box No Longer Appears

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have courses that are SCORM 1.2. I noticed the Bookmarking Resume box does not appear when I resume a course. The bookmarking feature works though. When I resume the course it takes me to the last slide viewed. That is working but the box where it asks if you want to start over or resume where you left off does not appear. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a SCO where you use the bookmarking feature of the LMS or is it a project using the bookmarking trough TOC setup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a LMS course published in SCORM 1.2 played on a home grown LMS. We use SCORM Cloud as the player. The course does not contain a TOC. The navigation is through a menu page with links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You tell that it has worked in that course before?  You can control the style of the box i the Object Style Manager, but the appearance is controlled by the LMS. Another user reported this week that it only appeared when the option 'Self-Paced Learning' was unchecked in the TOC setup, which is very weird but shouldn't be the case in SCORM Cloud.

Could you try a very short course with the same theme and setup for the Reporting to see if bookmarking by LMS is working for that courxe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the input. I will try that and see if I can replicate the issue. It is strange because the "Never send resume data" box is unchecked. We do not have a TOC. I will update when testing on a new version is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if Never send resume data is unchecked LMS will not show any resume box, and it should automatically take you where you left the course.

Bookmarking resume box will only appear if the project is being previewed from a webserver or locally(NOT LMS) and "Self paced learning is checked" under Project> Table of Contents>Settings.

Once the reporting is enabled for the project and its uploaded on LMS, Above functionality will be discarded by the LMS. LMS only understand "never send resume data" property.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slight correction.

If Self-Paced Learning  IS selected in TOC settings (and you DO have a TOC enabled) then the Self-Paced Learning resume dialog DOES appear, even if you have LMS Resume Data turned on and your content is being served from an LMS.  I have confirmed that this happens in SCORM Cloud just this morning when testing a course from another user with a similar issue.  This was with a Captivate 9 project. (I have not so far checked to see if Cp8 or Cp 2017 work differently.)

So the Self-Paced Learning resume box DOES appear, even when LMS Resume Data is also turned on.  It appears as if the LMS bookmarking does NOT now cancel out or disable the Resume Data bookmarking, which is a serious worry, because it means the two different bookmarking methods can conflict and cause contradictory behaviour.

Some LMSs will show their own Resume Data dialog and offer the learner the option to resume where they left off or start afresh from the beginning.  But in my experience, most LMSs do not have this (very useful) feature.

What causes confusion with many Captivate developers is that they see the Self-Paced Learning bookmarking dialog and think this is coming from the LMS, when in fact it's spawned from the Captivate content.  But Self-Paced Learning bookmarking data is NOT stored in the LMS database.  It's stored in Local Storage on the end user's browser.  As eLearningPundits stated, the LMS only understands SCORM standard Resume Data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carol,

Bookmarking resume box only works till the time you are not enabling Reporting for Captivate project.

Once you enable reporting, only option that controls the project resuming is under Quiz>Quiz Preferences>Enable reporting for this project> Advance> "Never Send resume data"

if "Never send resume data" is checked that means your project will always open from beginning else, it will take you to last visited slide without showing the bookmarking resume box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to all that replied to my post. I did some testing and here are my findings:

I found, in Captivate 9, if I want the Resume box to appear; the TOC needs to be on and Self-paced Learning check box needs to be checked. As long as this was done, the Resume Box appears when resuming a course. (regardless of whether or not the "Never send resume data" check box was checked or unchecked it appeared)

As for the "Never send resume data" check box, this controls which type of bookmarking occurs. If the "Never send resume data" check box is not checked, bookmarking is done through the LMS (if LMS is capable of bookmarking). LMS bookmarking means even if the user clears their web browser history, their course bookmark remains intact and is not cleared when they resume their course.

If the "Never send resume data" box is checked, bookmarking is done at the web browser level. This means if the user clears their web browser history, they clear their bookmarking for the course as well. When they resume their course, it will start at the beginning again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of what you say here is correct, but there is a slight error in that having Self-Paced Learning turned on when using an LMS to deliver content DOES NOT mean that the bookmarking dialog users see is actually doing what they expect.  Its behaviour gets over-ridden by the Resume Data bookmarking.  So it's actually better NOT to use it with an LMS.

It's not exactly correct to say that the Never Send Resume Data check box "controls which type of bookmarking occurs".  It only controls whether or not Resume Data Bookmarking is turned on or not.

I appreciate that all of this is confusing,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

After reading all this I'm a bit confused as to what settings I should be using! Especially as a new user of Captivate.

I have built a course with a custom TOC and am looking to enable the bookmarking resume box, to give learners the opportunity to continue from where they left off or start from the beginning. 

My LMS (Docebo) does not offer this as a feature and with "Never send resume data" UNCHECKED the course resumes from where the learner has left off. 

From what I have read in this thread, if I want the resume dialog box to appear and if my LMS can't offer this, it seems like I need to turn on built-in TOC and select Self-paced learning - is that correct?

I hope this is not the case and that there is a workaround as I have put a lot of time into building a custom TOC. Surely there has to be a solution for courses without built-in TOC, like the one originally descirbed by Carol.

Perhaps I have misunderstood some of the comments, so if you're able to take the time to provide the recommended settings so that the resume dialog does appear, I would appreciate it. 

Thanks,

Reuben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Captivate designers made a really counter-intuitive decision when designing the LMS Advanced dialog box which controls Resume Data bookmarking because most people would normally expect a checkbox to be selected when something is meant to be turned ON.  But the way they implemented this feature was to have Never Send Resume Data UNCHECKED mean that Resume Data Bookmarking is turned ON.  Since you have this box unchecked, this is why your LMS is bookmarking the user's location and taking them back to it when they resume the lesson.  Having that box unchecked is the default setting in Captivate.   

But as explained elsewhere, Captivate has two types of bookmarking.  The Resume Data bookmarking is ONLY for when courses are delivered from an LMS because only the LMS database can record the SCORM Resume Data in a form that later allows it to be used to set up the user's module with all quizzing data fed back in. 

The other bookmarking type is called Self-Paced Learning Bookmarking and it is configured via a checkbox in the TOC settings of the Skin Editor, and unlike the Resume Data checkbox this one DOES need to be selected for Self-Paced Learning bookmarking to be turned ON. With Self-Paced Learning bookmarking, the Captivate module DOES put up a dialog box to ask the learner whether or not they want to resume or start again. But Self-Paced Learning only records very little bookmarking information that is limited to the identity of the slides the user has visited, including the last slide they visited before terminating the session.  

The problem here is that these two types of bookmarking are NOT meant to be used together because they can conflict.  Self-Paced Learning Bookmarking uses the browser Local Stored area to record the location of the last slide visited by the user.  But it doesn't record data about any quiz questions they answered or what their current score in the quiz might be as LMS Resume Data Bookmarking does.   Since the two bookmarking methods don't take each other into account, you can easily end up with conflicting behaviour in a course module if they are both activated.

For example, if you have both bookmarking methods turned on and the user exits the module halfway through the quiz, when they later resume, the LMS will try to send them back to the quiz question immediately AFTER the last one they answered.  But then when the module opens, the user would see the Self-Paced Learning dialog and could use it to start from the beginning again. But then their previously answered quiz questions will NOT be reset automatically.  They could find that when they again reach the module's quiz questions their previous answers will already be set up (because of LMS Resume Data) and cannot be changed.  Unless there is some way to navigate past questions already answered, they may find themselves stuck at the first question with no way to continue.

Now it would be great if all LMSs provided a way for the learner to make the decision about resuming, but as you have discovered, every LMS is different in the way that it interprets the SCORM standard and to my knowledge the SCORM standard itself does not stipulate any details about how the LMS interface has to implement bookmarking.  It's left up to the LMS designers to decide how to handle things.  So, if they don't see giving a decision dialog as important, they're not forced to implement it.

It would also be great if the Adobe Captivate team had listened to all the times we have flagged this particular issue on the forums as something that needs to be addressed.  Articulate Storyline DOES provide the option of a dialog box that works with Resume Data bookmarking.  So it's not as if this is an unsolvable coding problem.

The bottom line is that, unless you want to risk further confusion, you are wise to onlly use ONE of these bookmarking methods, not both at the same time.  It's something of a Catch-22.  Self-Paced learning gives you the dialog box, but doesn't store data about quizzing.  Resume Data bookmarking DOES store data about quizzing and scoring (as well as the last slide visited) but doesn't show any dialog by default unless the LMS decides to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rod,

Thanks for taking the time to provide this lengthy explanation!

I have decided to go for resume data bookmarking, because I will need to store quiz data. It now a case of speaking with my LMS vendor to try and enable other settings.

A workaround for the time being is switching to SCORM 2004 and turning on "set exit to normal after completion". I have run some tests and this works well for when users have already passed the test, the course resets to the beginning as do all the states and quiz questions. The only issue is that if the user takes the course quiz again following the reset, perhaps in an attempt to improve their previous score, my LMS takes the last recorded score. The status remains as complete, which is should, but I would like to see the highest score recorded in circumstances where another attempt is lower in score. This is also the case for quiz retakes prior to the reset. It is my understanding this is not controlled by settings in Captivate, so I will reach out to my LMS vendor on this one. 

This workaround will be ok if the quiz attempts is set to infinate, but if there are requirements to have a certain amount of attempts and the user fails all of them, the only way I can think to control the reset behaviour in Captivate is to add a button on the results slide with some logic to reset everything in the course - I haven't looked into whether or not that is even possible in Captivate, perhaps you can guide me to some info on that?

Ideally I would want to use SCORM 1.2 and for learners to be able to reset via a dialog box prompt no matter what the course status is, but at the very least I need my course to reset if it has already been completed or failed after the maximum number of quiz attempts have been reached. 

I will be reaching out to my LMS Vendor with my requirements, but if you have any more info, let me know.

Thanks,

Reuben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confusing is right! Thank you for clarifying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources