Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can captivate do this?

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2013 Dec 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am looking to set up a learning resource for university students. It will be made up of multiple modules, lessons and quizzes (each lesson will be a separate SCORM). I am fairly new to SCORM and I am trying to choose an authoring tool that best suits what I am trying to do. I have experience with php, JavaScript and html. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if captivate has the following features which I am looking for:

1. ) LMS publishing standards SCORM 1.2 or 2004 or tincan

1. ) Highly customizable SCORM player, or ability to remove the player completely and design my own navigation system.

1. ) Inclusion of a ‘progress bar’ in the player for easy navigation, or ability to add custom one.

1. ) Bookmarks – I want the student to be able to ‘bookmark’ the slide they are on in the SCORM module, and communicate this to the LMS (probably will be moodle), or failing that to a custom build php file. Ie, if a student wants to return to a slide later (eg because it has a complex formulae they want to look at again), they can bookmark this and then later select this from a ‘bookmark’ list in the LMS. Importantly, the bookmark should deep-link to the individual SCORM and ‘slide number’, to allow for one bookmark list with bookmark ‘links’ to slides in several SCROM modules. (Example link: www.website.com/scorm1.html?slide=3)

1. ) Similarly, I want students to be able to ‘pick up where they left off’ when entering the SCORM. Even better would be the ability for the SCROM to report to the LMS the date/time it was last viewed, so on login to the LMS the student could be automatically redirected to their last viewed SCROM and slide.

1. ) I also want the student to be able to ‘report’ a slide in a SCORM package (eg open a lightbox with a textbox for commenting on a particular slide). Again, this would require the slide number and SCORM module name to be passed to the reporting box so that this could be emailed (or otherwise passed somehow) to the teacher (eg if a student wanted to comment on content directly to the teacher).

1. ) Quizzes within the SCORM are reported to LMS.

1. ) HTML5 is preferable to flash

1. ) Mobile device support

I know its a tall order in terms of features. Can captivate do any / all of these things?

Many thanks in advance for any help with this,

Matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2013 Dec 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

In regard to your queries,

1. LMS publishing standards SCORM 1.2 or 2004 or tincan - Captivate Supports this

2. Highly customizable SCORM player, or ability to remove the player completely and design my own navigation system. - The player can be customized to one extent. Captivate provides sufficient features for customization.

3. Inclusion of a ‘progress bar’ in the player for easy navigation, or ability to add custom one. - This can be done in Captivate
4. Bookmarks – I want the student to be able to ‘bookmark’ the slide they are on in the SCORM module, and communicate this to the LMS (probably will be moodle), or failing that to a custom build php file. Ie, if a student wants to return to a slide later (eg because it has a complex formulae they want to look at again), they can bookmark this and then later select this from a ‘bookmark’ list in the LMS. Importantly, the bookmark should deep-link to the individual SCORM and ‘slide number’, to allow for one bookmark list with bookmark ‘links’ to slides in several SCROM modules. - Need to check for captivate if bookmarks are possible for particular slide. Otherwise,  captivate supports the bookmarking of the complete course.

5. Similarly, I want students to be able to ‘pick up where they left off’ when entering the SCORM. Even better would be the ability for the SCROM to report to the LMS the date/time it was last viewed, so on login to the LMS the student could be automatically redirected to their last viewed SCROM and slide. - Captivate made scorm packages can be continued from the time where it was stopped last time.

6. Quizzes within the SCORM are reported to LMS. - This can be done in Captivate

7. HTML5 is preferable to flash. - This can be done in Captivate

8. Mobile device support - This can be done in Captivate

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other query.

Regards,

Vikas Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2013 Dec 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vikas, Captivate nor a LMS can bookmark within a slide, it is always on slide level.

I would have been more careful with my answers. HTML5 output is possible but still with much more limitations than Flash output, also due to the HTML5 itself of course.

SCORM player and everything related with SCORM depends also on the used LMS and there are some problems with Moodle as the user should be aware of.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to echo Lieve's comments.  The SCORM player is actually part of the LMS, not the Captivate file.  The Cp output can include a 'skin' which includes some playbar controls and a Table of Contents.  However, this is not the same as the SCORM Player that the LMS uses to display the content.  The TOC that the LMS provides provides links to launch individual modules in a multi-SCORM course.  The TOC that the Captivate file provides only applies to jumping from one section to another WITHIN the same module of a course.

Captivate DOES certainly output to HTML5, however it should be noted that the current user experience with HTML5 is not equal to the user experience with HTM/SWF output.

If you are using Moodle, check your Moodle version number as only version 2.6 or above really supports HTML5.  Moodle also does not really support SCORM 2004, only SCORM 1.2.  Your wishlist of bookmarking features is likely to exceed the capabilities of any LMS.  So you should divide your list into MUST haves versus LIKE TO haves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Lilybiri, you are absolutely right. it is always on a slide level.

Vikas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bookmarking within a slide can be done in any LMS, if you solely use Captivate it cannot be done.

We use multi-dimensional Arrays for bookmarking in many of our courses. You can put any information you want in the lesson_location, suspend_data, and comments tables.

The arrays can keep track of which items on a screen the user has clicked. If they leave the SCO and screen incomplete, they can return to the screen in the state of their last attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources