• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I import data into Captivate 9 via a flat text file?

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My courses have a button that links to an external website URL.  Client wants to be able to edit the URL separate from Captivate, as a text file.  Is this possible?

Many thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to do this is just to set up a redirect file that is outside of your Captivate content.  It just needs to be a normal HTM file but with a redirect to the actual target web URL that you want to call.  So in the Captivate lesson you call the redirect.HTM (or whatever you want to call it) and inside that file is where you can change the URL to point to the other page.  That way you can always edit the URL when you want without needing to republish anything.  You just need access on the web server to the redirect file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

That sounds perfect(!).  What would the content of the redirect.htm look like?  Is it as simple as just typing the new URL into the redirect.htm?  Does the redirect.htm need to have the HTML headers, etc? (sorry - I am pretty HTML adverse - it gives me the dumb.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This should help with redirects in general:

How to Redirect a Web Page | CSS-Tricks

So create a blank HTML document for each URL you have in the CP project.

Each HTML document simply 'redirects' to the actual URL.

The biggest trick, I think, is where those HTML documents are going to live. You could keep them as part of the project folder, or put them on a website elsewhere (as long as your CP links point to the correct place to find those initial HTML documents, no matter).

BUT then your customer is going to need to be comfortable accessing those HTML documents, i.e. on a webserver, and editing/replacing them when the URLs change.

So have that conversation with the customer before you commit to this option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources