• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get my Captivate file to play on a Mapped Network drive.

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an Instructional Video which plays fine on my laptop. When I upload it to a networked Drive (at work) it fails to play.

The only thing that does play is a circle shape that appears to be trying to load up something on the screen.

Thanks for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, which version do you use? Is this a non-responsive or a responsive project?

If it is a non-responsive project, did you publish to HTML? If yes, you need to upload the published folder to a webserver or a LMS (if you created a SCO). It has to be launched form the idex.html file like any website. A networked map is not a webserver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I rebuilt this 'Responsive' than would that fix the issue?

Usually, we simply make a link from the LMS to the Story.htm; file (when using Storyline) but I wanted to try Captivate instead.

Thanks again,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Storyline essentuially is still Flash-based (plays in a HTML wrapper not pure HTML).  It is possible to play a Captivate file published to SWF by launching its 'htm' file. But that is NOT possible for HTML output. You didn't answer my questioss.

Responsive projects are always HTML based, and for that reason you always have to upload them to a webserver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you accessing that network drive via UNC (i.e. \\server\path1\path2) or via mapped drive (i.e. Z:\\)

If via UNC, try mapping the drive first, then trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Captivate's published output is really more designed to be played from a web server rather than a file server or network LAN drive.

You mentioned before that you had played Storyline output from your LMS.  That means your Storyline output would have been published as a SCORM package and uploaded into the LMS (which is actually just an application running on a web server).

You can do the same things with Captivate output. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources