Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open Captivate file!

Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh!  You won't believe it!  I made all kinds of cool changes, but now I can't open the file.  HELP! I have a back-up of the file, but not with the cool changes.  Here is the error I get when I try to open it:

Adobe Captivate could not open "the file name". Ensure that:

- The file is not open already (it isn't)

- The file is not damaged.  For example, if the file was an email attachment (it wasn't), ensure that you have decoded the file correctly.

- The hard disk has sufficient available space. (probably does, it opened before)

- The system has sufficient resources.  To optimize the resources, close all the other open applications (I have)

What now?  I'd hate to think that the last 8 hours of work has been wasted.  Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Terri

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the last time you worked on it, did captivate exit the file strangely?  Crash?  End Task in the Task Manager (Windows)?

When Cp opens a project file it creates a hidden file that 'locks' the file so no one else can open it.  When you close the project, it removes the file.  The message you're describing can come up when that file doesn't get removed when Captivate closes.  It can also be all those scary things mentioned there.

If you go to the folder options you can 'show hidden files' and remove it manually IF that is really the problem.  Make sure you're not running two isntances of captivate and that no one else is working on the file (if it's in a network location) before doing anything.

That message can also come up when a file is created in say Cp 5.5 and you try to open it with Cp5.  They're not backwards compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact problem that Terri Maguire did but my work was over 4 days and I'm one hour from completion.  During my last attempted 'save', the window did a 'not responding' error and ended up crashing.  Now, I can't open the 5.0 file and I'm sick to my stomach at the prospect of having to start over.

My file was saved on the 'desktop' so I'm not sure what Andy means in his solution of going to the 'folder options'.  Can anyone help me find this hidden file and close it so I can try opening the original again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your desktop is also a folder.  If you're on Win XP it's at:  C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop or some equivalent if you're running some other version of windows.  Once you're there, select Tools > Folder Options > View > Hidden files and folders > Show hidden files and folders.  Look for the lock file and delete it.

If Cp crashed in the middle of the save, removing the lock file may or may not fix it.  If you have Captivate set to create back ups, you can ressurect the file from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andy...still no luck.  Deleted all the locked files, attempted to open from another location, renamed, and as it turns out 'back up' wasn't turned on within the preferences.

Four days of work down the drain...I'm so mad I could spit nails. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't despair completely yet, you might be able to claim it back from the captivate cached projects also.

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Adobe Captivate Cached Projects

There's a tool that helps you locate and pull back the file:  http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2010/09/recovering-the-project.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well.

I wasted an hour looking for, trying and executing the answers but at least the month of work I did is not lost.

I'm not exactly thrilled that I had to resort to this to recover the file but at least it is recovered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having this problem too... This worked: http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2010/09/recovering-the-project.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on the new Captivate 7 (trial version for now) and this:http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2010/09/recovering-the-project.html just saved my life!  176 slides recovered!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it.  If you want to understand this issue better, take a look at this longish page of info:

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-troubleshooting/recover-corrupt-project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just saved 3 weeks of work for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

inalaska's option worked for my problem while using Captivate 9!

Use this link:

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2010/09/recovering-the-project.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I struggled with this for four hours.  Then I came across this:

1. Go to file in document folder
  2. Right-click the file
  3. Select "Restore Previous Versions"
  4. Select the version you wish to restore
  5. Select "Restore"

Bob is your uncle.

There were a couple of things I saved later that weren't there but this saved a whole day's re-work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleague was getting this message on a file that I could open perfectly fine. It turned out that I was on version 11.5.0.476 and he was on 11.1.0.245. Who knew? Anyways he updated and now it works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Im having the same alert. I just installed the program on my works computer, when I try to open a file that I was working in another compu, that alert popout

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the comments? Can you please check the exact version number (Help, About Captivate) on both system. You cannot open a file created with 11.5 in version 11.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is the ugly issue:

adobebs.png

Here is the ugly fix:

1. Unpack your non-working cptx as if it's a zip archive. Use 7zip, WinRAR, etc.

2. Save out a fresh working cptx from Captivate--it does not matter if this one is empty!

3. Now unpack the working cptx and locate its "info" file.

4. Copy-paste the working "info" file to replace the "info" file in your botched cptx files.

5. Rezip the botched cptx files and return the "cptx" file designation.

Now that little tinker will load up.

DISCLAIMER: While you can edit AND publish these "hacked" cptx, if you save it, you will always get a new error prompt that Mr. Google has not heard of.  Simply hit Retry, then let Captivate save out your editted cptx. The only compromise now is... to reopen your new cptx without the original corruption prompt, you must attend the same "info" file replacement business on it before it will open.

I never said it was pretty. But you're welcome. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources