• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you force the sum of two answer to equal a specific value?

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project where I want students to compare two statements and then rate them (scale of 0-10) relative to each other. Is there a way to create questions so that the sum must equal 10?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without going to a JavaScript solution - (as I often do) - you might consider having them rate one item which will then automatically set the value of the second to the difference from ten. This was the first thing that popped into my head.

As I consider more while typing - I thought there might be a need for additional context. I would have made this scenario from scratch - that is typically my default position. However, if you are wanting to use the Likert Scale Quiz slide - well, that probably changes things. I don't have an answer for that - I have actually never used that type of quiz slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I do not have any experience with JavaScript (which I am now feeling would be EXTREMELY useful!) or programming for that matter. I am new to this world!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can be done with advanced or shared actions as well. But you need to give more details. How do you want this to happen? Do you need to transfer the results to a LMS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! So there is no right or wrong answers for this activity. This is more like a survey so no results need to be transferred to a LMS.

Assignment Directions:

Assign a weight from 0 to 10 to EACH STATEMENT IN EACH PAIR to show the relative strength of your belief in the statement compared to the other pair.

The points assigned for each pair must total 10.

Be as honest with yourself as you can be, and resist the natural tendency to respond as you would "like to think things are.”

This instrument is not a test. There are no right or wrong answers. It is designed to be a stimulus for personal reflection and dialogue.

_____a. It's only human nature for people to do as little work as they can get away with.

_____b. When people avoid work, it's usually because their work has been deprived of its meaning.

_____c. If employees have access to any information they want, they tend to have better attitudes and behave more responsibly.

_____d. If employees have access to more information than they need to do their immediate tasks, they will usually misuse it.

_____e. One problem in asking for the idea of employees is that their perspective is too limited for their suggestions to be of much practical value.

_____f. Asking employees for their ideas broadens their perspective and results in the development of useful suggestions.

Solution

Add the points assigned to the following:

·Theory X score - Sum of a, d, e, g, j, l, m, o, r, and s.

·Theory Y score - Sum of b, c, f, h, i, k, n, p, q, and r.

Then there is a section on interpreting the results of the survey. 

Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want 10 questions on 1 slide? Would be easier to have each question on a slide. Each question needs two scores, where sum needs to be 10. And the appropriate score needs to be added to X or Y score. You do not want to have the 'X' answer always in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a design stand point I think it would be overwhelming to have all ten questions on one slide. One question per slide would be best I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also my idea. Shuffling is necessary....I suppose? Will try to lay out a solution and create a blog. I will not make 10 quesstions of course, but may I use the text you posted for 3 questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is a need for shuffling. The questions came from Kolb, David A., Rubin, Irwin M. Organizational Psychology: An Experiential Approach, 2nd ed.(c)1974. Electronically reproduced by permission of Pearson Education, Inc. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. A blog post would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So - if the sum of both A and B must equal 10 - the question is, as you originally stated - how do we force that?
My idea would be to create a single Text Entry Box for each pair and a variable for every question.
When a value for the first TEB is entered - the variable for the second is calculated such that the sum of the two is 10. We can simply display the value for the second.

If you require that the learner actually enter a value for every question then you would need to make it so that updating the second TEB would auto calculate and modify the first in order to keep it equal to 10. It is do-able but makes it a bit more complex, I think.

This can be done with actions.

Lieve may have another idea for this - looks like she is gonna get you hooked up with a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, have an idea, and as you know, I don't like to force a learner. Would prefer to give a warning when the sum is not 10, and let them correct the entry. Would be possible to use the learning interaction 'radiobuttons or even a custom interaction to show them a nice 'rating scale'.

As a diehard trainer, I never like 'forcing' anything. You are correct, Greg, that was the original question, but the learning experience is for me much more important.

Have a working solution, without JS. But have to leave now for a dinner meeting. Writing out the blog will be for tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uploaded two blogs to the eLearning community, they are waiting moderation. I will try to combine them in one post on my personal blog. As soon as possible, will add the links here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have uploaded two blogs to the eLearning community, they are waiting moderation. 

You can find it also in my personal blog:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/graded-surveys-radiobuttons-interaction

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources