• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate (2019 release) on macOS Big Sur (macOS 11)

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: We've released an early build for Big Sur that fixes the issues that Captivate users are facing. For more details, read this post

Does Captivate work on Big Sur?

Adobe Captivate (2019 release) is NOT COMPATIBLE with Big Sur.

If you launch Captivate (2019 release) on macOS Big Sur (macOS 11), the project editor becomes unusable.

We are working on making Captivate (2019 release) to be compatible with Big Sur. 

Meanwhile, you can review the current system requirements for Captivate.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 158 Replies 158
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair... its only Adobe Captivate that has missed the mark on this. I have the Full Creative Suite and that all worked fine from day one.. In the organization where I work[The European Commission], we are in talks now to move to Audacity. We simply cannot be without working elarning programms at this time. We have huge training needs and are moving a lot of it over to eLearning courses. We simply won't wait

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AUDACITY??

That is an audio application like Audition (last one is better and is in the CC subscription).

If you meant Articulate, there must be a good reason why they never succeeded at having a Mac version of their eLearning applications.  You'll need to use Parallels and install the Windows version.

BTW Last year with another iOS multiple Adobe applications had issues with that iOS. Just FYI. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HAHAHAHa... Stupid me, yes i meant Articulate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this is a lie Lily. The CC apps are always up to date with the latest Mac OS. If you you want to contribute constructively to this tread, please stick to the truth. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I remember the problems with PS last year when Catalina was released. I am known to be too honest. I follow threads in forums where you don't have access, and fully remember those problems. They may have been solved quicker than for Captivate, but they still happened.

Maybe you need to refresh your memory.

Marketing people do not like my honesty. I will not talk about all the problems mentioned by experts about the newer versions of iOS, because I have no personal experience with them. Nor about the many experts who seriously think about switching to Windows because of its better reliability. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the long list of "known issues": https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos-big-sur.html

... and Adobe's answer to the question "when can I upgrade to Big Sur?" which boils down to "don't!".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be careful with language on posts.  Calling someone a liar simply because they do not happen to agree with your recollection or knowledge of events is not appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a customer, I am expected to pay for the use of Captivate on time. Why can't Articulate issue an alert to all users regarding MACOS updates, informing clients that MAC updates will not be compatible with current captivate versions. A simple email will be enough and would improve customer satisfaction tremendously.

What is the current timeline for the update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant why can't Adobe issue an alert, not Articulate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to ask this question of Adobe, not this Adobe Captivate User Forum.  We only know as much as you do.

I know the heading at the top of your browser page says this is the Adobe Support Community, but please don't be misled by the name.  Adobe created this User Forum so that Captivate users could get support primarily from other users, not from Adobe.  Adobe technical staff very rarely ever post information here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saurav Ghosh and Dr. Pooja Jaisingh from Adobe both popped into this thread. And, they both said watch this thread for updates. So, they do come into support community occassionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RodWard, thank you for your input. You do have a point, but frequently Adobe refers customers to the forum as a quick way of providing answers or support, but using your own words "...Adobe created this User Forum...", meaning they are monitoring.

As an Adobe customer, I believe I should express our opinion and frustration, and demand better customer service. Apple announced 4 or 5 months ago the changes they would make. From the adobe products that I use, this is the only one that is not working on a MAC, and it is not the first time this happens. With Catalina update, there were also issues.

Last but not least, before writing in the forum I did address the issue directly to Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's good to hear that you are addressing your concerns to Adobe by channels OTHER than this User Forum.  But while I agree that Adobe is probably monitoring the discussions on this forum, I still feel that it's not really fair for Adobe's own employees to only "occasionally" post message on this forum and leave the bulk of "support" for issues falling on the shoulders of unpaid volunteers.  Even more so when a large number of users (e.g. Mac OS user at the moment) are experiencing showstopper issues and are getting very irate. 

Those of us that are just ordinary users have no real power to fix this issue, but we're getting the heat for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are we on this? I should not have to purchase another Microsoft machine license to finish work, nor rollback an update to my mac for this to operate correctly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own a small educational media design firm and doing my best to meet the needs of my clients - most of them are trying to meet the needs of young learners K-5 across the US. Given this is an educational application being used heavily during a pandemic I feel Adobe Captivate should have emailed their users to let them know when they realized their application was NOT compatible with Big Sur. I just updated my OS on Friday last week and now cannot use the application to complete learning materials for clients. 

You DO have the name Adobe on the application so the expectation of the product being up to date and compatible with current operating systems does seem reasonable to me. Please, for the education of all our children, let's get this product updated and please send an email to ALL of your users to not download Big Sur yet so more folks won't be stuck as I am not. Obviously from this thread this has been a known issue for a while now, so the fact that you hadn't sent out a notice yet is inexcusable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received a notification in Captivate (which I had downloaded as a trial on another machine that I hadn't yet updated) about the incompatibility. Thanks so much for sending that out! Hopefully this will be fixed before my trial expires. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - what do you do if you installed Big Sur? I can't uninstall.  I wanted to do the update till Decemeber.  When is Adobe fixing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a few options but they all suck. 1. Buy a copy of Windows and run BootCamp, 2. Transfer everything off of your Mac to another drive (don't use Time Machine) wipe your Mac, and restore from scratch, 3. Use an old Mac or Windows machine.

I've always run a BootCamp version anyway JIC because Adobe seems to do this about every couple of years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you now if captivate file created in a MAC can be open in a Windows machine?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer is Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victoria,

I don't know how to go back to Catalina. All I now is that is not a straight forward thing. Requires some IT skills that I don't have.

I don't have a timeline for the fix, just hope soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just been in. contact with Adobe, unfortunatly there is no time line for a fix. Below is the latest reply:

"The issue has been reported to the Engineering team already and they are working on it as a priority.
Soon there will be an update and I would request you to allow us some time to get this fixed. Your patience is highly appreciated."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to buy Windows 10 and buy a VM to continue to my work because like many developers here to maintain security requirments within our hardware that we use from Apple, some don't have a choice to not update. So I am sure there are many other Independent Contractors or part of a group that had to go this route. What is Adobe doing as a company to compensate for those developers that rely on Adobe to keep up with technology updates. (i.e., either money or free usage of services or etc) OS11 SDK has been released for the other companies more than enough time to create the update required; it was not a surprise this was coming.. Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its quite ridiculous, its been over a month since Big Sur was released. Add to that the time they had with the beta version released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, reading this thread is a real kick in the pants.  My stomach has dropped reading all these comments.  I really wish like most of you I would have known this before updating to Big Sur.  Go to open my adobe captivate and blank.  I about pooped my pants 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources