• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2019 Version Won't Let Me Retake Quiz

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest version of Captivate (2019) and am using KnowBe4 as my LMS. I've created a training module with a 5 question quiz at the end. When I did a test run in KnowBe4, everything was working great until I did a test run on the quiz and purposely failed to see how it would direct me. My issue is that when I fail the quiz, it does not allow me to retake it. Even if I don't review the answers and just close out, it does not let me retake it. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have my quiz preferences set as follows:

alexisb847_0-1697479996594.png

alexisb847_1-1697480021870.png

I would like users to be able to retake the quiz as many times as it takes for them to pass it. Currently, when I fail the quiz in KnowBe4, it doesn't show the module as completed. Instead, it has a "resume" button, but when I click it, it just takes me back to the quiz results page with no option to start the quiz or module over.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears your LMS is currently set up so that it will only mark the module completed when it does see a passing score. If you want users to be able to retake the quiz indefinitely until they pass I would suggest you change the settings inside the Captivate module to allow that to happen.  

In Captivate, go to Quiz > Settings > Pass or Fail and check the box option for Infinite Attempts.  Then select the Show Retake Button option that appears.  This will give you a Retake Quiz button on the Quiz Results slide.  With Infinite Attempts allowed now your learner will be able to do the quiz as many times as required until they achieve a passing score. 

Their module will be bookmarked (as before) but when they resume the module and return to the Quiz Results page it will allow them to click the retake button for another attempt.  Once they achieve a passing score the Retake Quiz button no longer appears and they should then find their module is marked completed in the LMS.

However, to ensure they do not click the Continue button OR the Review Quiz buttons on the Quiz Results slide, I usually place the Retake Quiz button over the top of the other two buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RodWard, I know this post is old, but I was glad it was still here. I helped me a lot. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hi RodWard, We are using EasyLlama for our LMS training, and I am facing an issue with a quiz that I created. One of the users did not pass the quiz, so they selected the option to review the answers before retaking it. However, after reviewing the answers, the "Retake" option disappeared. What do I need to do so the employees can retake the quiz? I checked, and I have selected "Infinite attempts." Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the default behavior: using the Review button will lead to get all remaining attempts on quiz level to be considered exhausted. Reason is logical: Review will show the correct answers (at leat in version CP2019), which means it makes not much sense to offer such a cheat possibility.

To avoid this, if you are on a non-responsive project, drag the Review button under the Retake button. That is not possible for a responsive project because stacking is prohibited. I have described a more elaborate workflow for those projects somewhere on my blog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt response. I will follow the recommendations.

Kind regards,
Paula
Moderator: be careful when answering by mail. You included a lot of your credentials on a public forum. I have deleted them for you, to avoid spam filling your inbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual, Lilybiri is quite correct.  Just wanted to confirm what she said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,  I have two questions:

1)  I am using Classic Captivate and Moodle LMS (v 3.9.3) and would like to know how to require learners to re-take Quizzes when they score below 80%.  I've attached a screenshot of my quiz settings. 

2)  How do I activate/turn on closed captioning for my projects without typing the content from each slide?  I tried copying the audio via audio>edit>closed caption>placing pin head at start of the audio and copying>click "+" then paste but it doesn't allow me to copy.

Thank you very much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2024 Jul 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Captivate Classic v 11.8.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2024 Aug 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to allow users to have more than one attempt at a quiz during a single user session, then you need to configure the options under Quiz > Settings > Pass and Fail.  Your screenshot does not show that specific area of quiz settings so I cannot confirm if you have it set up correctly.  You can even set the option there to give the user Infinite Attempts to successfully complete the course. If you do, don't forget to also check the box to Show Retake Button, otherwise you will leave your users stranded at the end of the quiz.

However, you need to pay attention to the fact that I have mentioned this applies within a single "user session", that is,  a single launch of the Captivate course module from your LMS.  If your users do not have multiple attempts allowed to complete the quiz, or they close down the module before successfully completing it, then you would need to configure your LMS to allow multiple launches of the module in order for the user to reattempt the quiz again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2024 Aug 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked my Quiz settings and do see the  "Pass and Fail"  option (see screenshot).

2)  How do I activate/turn on closed captioning for my projects without typing the content from each slide?  I tried copying the audio via audio>edit>closed caption>placing pin head at start of the audio and copying>click "+" then paste but it doesn't allow me to copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your screenshot shows you have only opened the Quiz Preferences to the point where you see the Quiz menu item in the left column of the Preferences dialog.  

Click on the small triangle icon beside the Quiz menu item to open the submenus underneath it.  One of those is the one that opens the Pass and Fail screen.

In order to have Closed Captioning in your final output you need to have the closed captioning text in the Slide Notes area, and then you need to select the option on that interface to have this text appear as Closed Captioning by selecting the checkboxes down the right side of the slide notes panel.

You need to break the slide notes up into small chunks of text that would fill just a line or two at the bottom of the slide (or where ever you intend to display the text).  If you have too much text in each slide note line then it usually overloads what the learner can take in while listening to the audio.  As a rough guide, I usually do not have more than 10 to 15 words per line.

Closed Captioning is actually part of the output skin, which includes the playback controls, Table of Contents, etc. Once you have your slide notes set up to be displayed in small groups of text, you also need to go to the Project tab > Skin Editor > Playback Control and select the Closed Captioning checkbox near the bottom of the dialog.  The Settings button just underneath that checkbox  opens more options that allow you to configure the look and feel of the CC text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources