• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 4 project will not update

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large Captivate 4 project (over 100 slides and file size is 181MB) that will not update. It runs through the updating process for a few minutes but then crashes. I have tried updating using Captivate 5, 5.5, and 6. I suspect that it is a limitation due to size, back in those early days there was a known issue with project sizes. Is there anyway I can get a copy of Captivate 4 to install while I try to open the file? If I can open the project long enough to split it up, it would be a great help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Final solution.

I was able to get a copy of Captivate 4, courtesy of David Burnham, to open the project. After a little bit of trial and error I was able confirm the suspicion proposed by Lilibiri that it was an action script issue. Once I deleted all of the advanced actions I was able to upgrade the project. Took a while to rebuild the Advanced Actions but much quicker than rebuilding the project.

Thanks to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The oldest version I can find online is CP5. When I have a moment free, will look in my old archive to look for CP4, but not sure it is stil there. Did you try to contact Adobe?

CP4 was the last version to support AS2, from 5 on only AS3 is supported for SWF output. I suspect that may be the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You raise a good point. The different versions crash at different stages, but 6 gets as far as updating scripts before failing so it could well be an Action Script issue.

I have not contacted Adobe directly yet, I was hoping someone in the community still had the version 4 install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crossing my fingers (may have it but did throw away a lot recently in spring cleanup). That version is 10 years old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that it's close at hand if the Adobe eLearning team still has a copy for such purposes. Send an email to CaptivateHelp@Adobe.com for assistance on this.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have emailed Adobe. Let's see what they say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be a memory issue - do you have lots of RAM available on your machine?

Restart and don't open anything else, just CP5, and see if the update succeeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried on 3 different machines, one with 8GB ram, fresh install of Cap5 and a cold reboot. Still no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what valuable stuff is contained inside this Captivate project file but consider this. Assuming the 181 MB is due to multimedia that is part of the published version of this project, there will likely be content that is not optimized for delivery over your organization's network. Also, consider that by today's standards 100 slides in a single module is very large. Most IDs would want to further subdivide this up into smaller, more easily digestible chunks. And lastly consider that if this content was created when Captivate 4 was current, this material is 9-10 years old and all that implies. Perhaps your time would be better spent designing a new set of eLearning modules to replace this very dated and aged course.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some good points Paul. We learnt many years ago, and mainly thanks to this particular course, to keep our courses much smaller, this course was actually split into 4 for subsequent versions, we publish in multiple languages, this particular course exists in 7 languages. On the good side, the content is extremely technical, it has not changed so is still valid. The main problem is, this problem course was translated into Dutch, both text and audio. I do not speak Dutch so if I develop new material it would require our subsidiary to re-translate the material again, not likely to happen. If I can open it long enough to extract captions and export audio I would be a happy camper, hence the push to get a copy of Cap 4. If not I will be doing audio capture, a lot of typing and cutting and pasting. Fortunately, I still have an executable version running in the LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me an email at info@harperburnham.com I might be able to help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Final solution.

I was able to get a copy of Captivate 4, courtesy of David Burnham, to open the project. After a little bit of trial and error I was able confirm the suspicion proposed by Lilibiri that it was an action script issue. Once I deleted all of the advanced actions I was able to upgrade the project. Took a while to rebuild the Advanced Actions but much quicker than rebuilding the project.

Thanks to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources