• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 6 - long numbered lists

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in Captivate 6 and need to include a numbered list that is too long to fit into a single text box. Unfortunately, the part of the list in the second text box restarts at number 1, and there does not seem to be a way to tell it to start at a higher number. Does anyone know how to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very simple.  You just hard code the numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg ,

Welcome to Adobe Forums!

You can create a list in Microsoft word and then copy and paste directly into Captivate.

Thanks and Regards

Himanshu Satija

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Himanshu - thanks for that. I tried it, and still the numbers start at 1

Rod - surely there must be a way to do this without hand numbering a list? It's a fairly basic requirement for anyone trying to convert documents for on-line use

Cheers

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate is not MS Word or Framemaker and it's not straight HTML.  (Captions and all static text they contain gets turned into graphics when published.)

There is no option to restart numbering on a list.

There would be overly complex ways of setting the numbering if your text was all generated dynamically from variables.

But why do something complex like that when all you need to do is start each line by typing a number.  It's the easiest way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

OK - I think I interpreted Himanshu's guidance too literally. I solved this by creating the list in Word, then doing a screen capture, cutting out the list and pasting that image onto my Captivate slide. Worked a treat

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2016 Sep 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Cp9. Three years and 3 versions later and it's still impossible to set the number value in a list that spans two (or more) slides. The suggestions listed above are good suggestions but I was hoping for a solution rather than a hack. 

In my situation, I have the equivalent of a top 10 list in ascending order. The order is important. The option of simply writing the number before each list item doesn't work so well because some of my list items wrap which results in sloppy formatting.

The "solution" that I have come up with is to use a bulleted list: list item followed by statistical data to indicate and illustrate order. It's more information on each slide than ideal but, so far, it seems to be a good work-around, in this particular case. 

I will add "Set numbering value" to my Adobe Captivate wishlist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 10, 2016 Sep 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to start numbering over you can create dummy lines with a single character until the text you want has the correct number.

Highlight the previous lines and change their color to white (if your background is white) and change the font size to 0. This will in effect restart the numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks, this is not an acceptable answer. StoryLine does this with ease. This post is from EIGHT years ago. Adobe has had all this time to add this BASIC feature!

Please put someone on this to make basic features like this happen, and not a classic Adobe work-around either. Create a actual button that allows you to re-number individual text boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You DO realise that you are ranting to a group of Captivate users like yourself and not directly to Adobe, right?  Telling us to "put someone on this to make basic features like this happen" is quite ridiculous.  We have absolutely NO power to put anybody anywhere.  We're just here offering unpaid support to answer questions.

If you want Captivate to get some new feature, log a feature request the same way any of us do, here on this form:
https://adobe.allegiancetech.com/cgi-bin/qwebcorporate.dll?Y9CHVD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources