Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9.0.2 + iOS 10 Audio not playing

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've had SCORM courses working on an LMS for the past year with no issues. All have audio voiceovers and small videos in place. Now that iOS 10 has launched, the voiceovers don't play and the videos are skipped instead of downloaded. I haven't changed these course files so it appears something is no longer compatible in the new iOS and is affecting the playback of these courses. They work fine on a desktop, but not on an iPad or iPhone with iOS 10. (Wasn't an issue with iOS 9).

Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't think it has to do with the Cap 9 update since the files were created in the original 9 and were fine. I've tested a 9.0.2 file and it's the same result so it appears something amiss with how iOS 10 is handling the course files.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2016 Oct 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps anyone, we also went with option 2 (as it only required changing a single line of code) and it has been very successful.

We set the cookie to expire after a day by amending line 248 of /lib/classes/session/manager.php from

session_set_cookie_params(0, $CFG->sessioncookiepath, $CFG->sessioncookiedomain, $CFG->cookiesecure, $CFG->cookiehttponly); 

to

session_set_cookie_params(86400, $CFG->sessioncookiepath, $CFG->sessioncookiedomain, $CFG->cookiesecure, $CFG->cookiehttponly); 

You may find the code is in a different location depending on what version of Moodle you are running - but the principle should be the same. It's up to you to work it out, I'm merely passing this on as a courtesy - any amends you make to your LMS should be applied at your own risk, making sure you know what you're doing and test thoroughly on a staging server first etc etc.

You will need to clear cookies on any devices/browsers that access the LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks IT WORKED!  Thanks for sharing.  Simple fix!

I changed the code so that the cookies expire in 24 hours and IOS 10 is reading it!

Perry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent - I'm glad it helped!

Could you mark my post as 'helpful' for the benefit of others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, moloko5 and all.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

It works !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video player in iOS 10 (AppleCoreMedia) is not able to read session cookies. Only cookies set with an expire date is readable by the video player.

How do we fix this issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,All.

I have the same problem in Captivate8.0.3. and Moodle2.9 and SCORM.

I hope this will fix as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont count on this problem getting fixed anytime soon.  It's Apples fault and they most likely will not fix the issue.  This is my opinion from past experiences with Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, do you courses play on SCORMCLOUD. We've always used them as a benchmark, meaning if it plays on that LMS, it usually will play on any LMS--unless the problem is with the course. We have been having the same issue with our elearning courses not playing audio when viewed on Apple devices. Today, though, I tried testing the course on Scormcloud and a couple other LMSs, and the audio played fine. This seems to say the issue is with our LMS, and not Captivate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using Moodle and our scorm packages are created by captivate 9.2 and published as moodle scorm 1.2  The problem has nothing to do with Captivate but has to do with scorm courses that require a user name and password to access the scorm course.  If the courses do NOT require a password you shouldn't have any issues that causes the session cookies (authentication cookies) However since Apple decided to tighten security with IOS 10 and believe security is an issue, they want the cookies to expire (although majority of LMS like moodle will expire a cookie after non-activity for 20 minutes). Now you have to force the cookies to expire (example 24 hours) and IOS 10 is reading the cookies and allowing audio / video to play in IOS 10.  It like "Moloko5" said just change the code in the LMS to expire session cookies with an expiration and everything should work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will pass this on to our LMS Vendor. We use TalentLMS. They have been great, but are at a loss it seems. 

--Arthur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arthur,

If I am not mistaken Talent LMS uses moodle and customizes it for people like you to use. So it should be a simple fix. 

Just a thought moodle is a free LMS and only needs some customization I don't know how many users you have and what type of plan you are using but, it might be more affordable for you to have a developer customize a LMS you can own without having to pay steep monthly fees and limit the amount of users.  If you are interested provide me your phone number and I can help you setup your own LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was out of town. I do not think TalentLMS simply customizes Moodle, but if they do I would be very interested in discovering where you found this information. We paid someone quite a bit once to customize Moodle for us, but we never could quite get it to work. However, I am certainly open to entertaining the idea again. I can be reached at arthur at safetyprovision dot com

Thanks, 

Arthur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the great workarounds that others have been posting about expiring cookies and user permission, I would like to propose that this is indeed a Captivate 8/9 bug. Although I do experience this issue with Captivate 8 and 9 on my iOS 10 devices on my Saba LMS, I do not experience the issue with Articulate Storyline 2 courses with audio on the same devices in the same LMS.

If Storyline can fix this issue with client-side code, Captivate can fix this issue with client-side code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although Storyline does load audio in iOS 10, it does have a problem playing video in iOS 10. It appears to be the same issue with security and AppleCoreMedia.

Additionally, we built a simple web page that just tries to load audio after a button is pressed. It fails on iOS devices.

That said, it's certainly a bigger issue than something that can be fixed with client-side code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The issue has been fixed for ios 10.2 beta 4 release by Apple.

Thanks,

Aditya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that the iOS 10.2 beta 4 has fixed this. Does anyone know how long before it goes to general release to the public?

Thanks -Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources