• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9: Slow Performance (64bit, Version 9.0.0.223)

Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm experiencing some frustratingly slow performance while authoring content. For example, moving a box, quiz question, image, etc. takes upwards of 15-20 seconds. CPU usage spikes to 80-90% on one of the four cores, and Captivate stops responding until moving the item is completed.

This even occurs where there are no other applications open.

The computer I'm using exceeds the system requirements:

Core i5-5200U

8GB of RAM

Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that Lilybiri, I thought it's better to ask in an open topic than to open a new one.

I am using the latest 11.5.5.553 version now. I am constantly updating Adobe Captivate with the major and minor versions, and this was an issue on all earlier versions I used too, since 2019. I had to develop non-responsive projects until now, but know we must start developing responsive quizzes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are on the most recent version

The 'required' system requirements are as usual, very low.  Only one of my systems (Surface Pro) has only 8MB of RAM but with an i7 processor.  All my systems have a SSD for OS and applications, don't know if you use SSD or HDD? Captivate is a rather greedy application.  I use the Surface Pro only when I have to travel and/or for small projects. For real developing work I prefer more RAM, i7 or i9 and a dedicated graphics card.

Keep the cache as empty as possible, clear it regularly.  Try to avoid opening multiple applications. Be sure to have plenty of space on the used drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another device that I used earlier, i7 - 4th gen, 16gb ram & some average laptop graphic, and this was happening there too. Now I am using a desktop computer that I mentioned earlier (with SSD), and there is no huge difference in the performance, except that now on the desktop the CPU, GPU etc are never overused, when captivate stops responding, it's usage is around 20-30%. I tried on a Macbook once just to check out and no improvements... Btw, I am cleaning the cache on almost daily basis.
The more the course is customized - the more it gets slower, this quiz has different box sizes and positions for every view, and I have excluded the "mobile landscape" view... Don't wanna even think about what will happen if I include that view in the course - probaby I will have to wait for half hour.
Thanks for the answer Lilybiri, I would reach the technical support to check for additional advice, but I don't think this is an issue, I think it's more that the tool cannot handle lots of customizations in the responsive quiz questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean exactly by 'customization in questoins'?  Quiz slides have a lot of rules which need to be respected. Are you sure not to break some of those rules? The quizzing master slides in Fluid Boxes projects are set up quite nicely. I have published many blog posts about the design of quiz slides, and the possible tweaks you can apply.

It is possible that the cause of your problems have to be found in that direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean design customizations mostly, each view have their own dimensions, their own positioning, font size for the buttons, questions answers and some additional elements.
I haven't used fluid boxes cuz I have elements that are one over another (one is hidden, the other is shown and that's changing depending on the situation, and I was unable to put two elements (mostly buttons) one over another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working ONLY on CPTX files that are saved to folders on your local hard drive, or are you perhaps opening files that are on a LAN drive or virtual (cloud) drive?

That can severely affect performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello RodWard, thanks for the help.
Yes, I work locally, As I mentioned the computer's usage is low in most of the time... Im running Captivate in admin mode and cleaning the cache very often... None of this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening your computer in Safe Mode and running Captivate then to see if the performance changes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all, I know you don't want us replying to very old threads, but I am having the same issue as Marko.

I am also working on E-learning with quiz slides in different device views, with set dimensions, and not

fluid boxes; I am using a template which we customize, and so each view has adjustments to text size, box dimensions, position, etc.

Captivate also becomes unresponsive while it needs to calculate those changes, or sometimes just when I want to access text to change it, and type, or just moving from one slide to the next, would take a second or two, amongst other actions! 

This strikes a big blow on productivity, and means required hours of overtime when I have to work on these projects... I am using verion 11.5.5, 32GB RAM, 64bit operating system, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12-Core Processor 3.09 GHz Processor, and GPU AMD Radeon RX 5700 Primary/Discrete.

Captivate seemingly does not use all the available resources in it's performance.
I really hope there is a solution since I still have much work to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources