• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate keeps crashing - missing button

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a problem with my buttons in Captivate. I have a picture button which I accidentally deleted in my system folder - now everytime I try to select this button in Captivate to relocate the button link, Captivate crashes 😞

I hope you understand what I mean and can help me.

Thanks in advance 

Julia

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to resolve this issue would probably be to get someone to send you the missing button graphic files and put them back into the Captivate gallery folder where the application is trying to find them.  Which button is this that you are missing?  If it is still appearing in Captivate, can you show us a screenshot of what it looks like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not a Captivate gallery button, it's an individual one I made myself - I recreated it but don't know in which folder Captivate is looking for the button - can I find this source somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate's default image buttons are stored at: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 2019 x64\Gallery\Buttons

When you say that this is not one of Captivate's default buttons but one you made yourself, do you mean that it was similar to the buttons located inside that folder I mention above where each button is made up of three images (one for each state), or do you mean that it was just an image which you had set to Use As Button in the Properties panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, it is one similar to the buttons located inside that folder with images for each state...but I didnt have it in that folder, but in another one I accidentally deleted but don't know the name of the folder...otherwise I would try to recreate it.

Can I find out the name of the folder Captivate is trying to find?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it.  I would be trying instead to get Captivate to forget about that button altogether.

Image buttons used in a project are actually cached inside the Captivate CPTX as soon as you add them to a project.

If you look carefully to the right side of the drop-down menu for the Button Type, when you have Image Button selected, there is a small trash can icon beside the Folder icon. If you mouse over that trash can it tells you this is for removing unused caption images from the project.  If that trash can icon is active (not disabled) when you see it, I would use it to try and clean out the unused files.

Your other alternative to try and get a fresh start for the project is simply to copy all of your slides into a new blank project CPTX of the same dimensions as the current one.  That way only the objects, variables, Advanced Actions etc currently used on the transported slides will end up in the new project.

See if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is, I can't get to the drop-down menu for the button type...as soon as I try to open it (by adding a new button or selecting an existing one) Captivate crashes with a severe error warning 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit off topic but can you check in Object styles if that particular button was set as a Default style for Image buttons.

BTW since shapes appeared (7 years ago) I only once have used an image button (for a Quiz tweak). One of the reasons is the situation you are now facing as have a lot of users in the past.  Crossing my fingers you can have it solved, but bit pessimistic. Later on maybe you could have a look at this post where I compare the 6 types of buttons available since the most recent version 11.5:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/overvew-6-button-types

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I get to Object styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, use Edit, Object Style Manager. Since you didn't know that, I doubt you changed the default style for Image buttons.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/manage-the-object-style-manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If Captivate is crashing, you should always reset Preferences as a first step.  Close down Captivate and then execute the CleanPreferencesWin.bat file located in the Captivate install directory Utils folder.  Just double-click that file to execute it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources