• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate module won't show as completed on an LMS?

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There

I'm using a trial version of Captivate to create a module for publishing on an LMS. I'm using a mac and the sofware version is 12.2.0.19

The training module has no questions attributed  to it (I'm asking the user to click through each slide (of a 5 slide deck). After exporting it as an SCORM 2.1 to an LMS run by another company, the module won't show up as completed. Part of the problem is that the preferences pain looks very limited and nothing like the preferences set-ups I have seen on on-line tutorials - making it impossible to compare the settings.

The company running the external LMS tell me they receive SCORM files created from other people and have no problems with them.

Second issue is that when i'm previewing the module, the final slide (of a 5 slide deck) is visible for a couple seconds and then the preview closes. I have placed 'Next Slide' buttons on each of the slides that allwork perfectly on the preview but I cannot get the last slide to hold long enough to access the button (which has the instruction to exit/close the module manually) -  What am I not doing correctly? And are the two issues connected?

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Getting started , Import export , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tags are very confusing: version 12 has no Advanced actions, only a few import/export possibilities. Those are only in former versions.

To be honest, I never use a Mac but there are only a few Mac users around here.

Please post screenshots of the Quiz Preferences: Reporting and Settings.

Is the last slide a score slide? Do ou have a quiz? Pausing is very annoying in this new version because lot is hidden. If you want to keep the last slide paused, add an interaction to the On Slide Enter event.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri - thanks for your response, really appreciate it!

The module doesn't have any quizzes at all - I'm asking the user to simply read content / view videos and click a 'next slide' button to naviage through the module. There are five pages plus an intro silde.

The last slide has an 'exit course' button but when I preview the module, the last last slide is visible for a couple of seconds, then the preview automatically ends and I'm back to the Cascade layout (on each slide of the module, the user must click on the 'next slide' to move on. The last slide already has interaction with the instruction to exit the course (this isn't the issue as the module wasn't registering as completed and the last slide was automatically vanishing before I added the 'exit course' button).

I have also attempted to include a question at the end of the module but the module still shows as not complete on the LMS.

- Is the fact i'm using a trial version the reason behind why the module is not 'completing' or the last slide disappearing...?

- Is using 2019 version instead of the newer version recommended as it seems to have a lot more settings available....?

As requested, I have attached screenshots of the settings available to me so you have visibility of what I'm seeing...

Thanks again for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the Reporting at all? You ask to report Score points, but you do not have a Quiz?  Did you attach any score to interactions? New Captivate misses a lot of features but it has quiz features similar to the previous versions.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri

This is my problem - I've tried the settings with score points and without. Same issue remains. 

On another note, i have solved the last page closing abruptly by double-clicking the time-line below the slide and extending the time that the slide is visible by dragging the timeline to one minute which will give the user time to click on a 'click this button to complete the module' instruction. I will find out tomorrow if that manual closing of the module solves the completion issue with the LMS. 

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll update you with my findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer my question: did you add any points to an interaction, like clicking the Next button.

You cannot base a criterion for completion on a score if there is no score. And under the Quiz Preferences you did 

add the Results slide? Do you ever see a score there?

Since you are on version 12, the Setttings have moved to the Interactions button of that score slide. Can you post a screenshot of those? I suspect that you are pretty new to Captivate.

SCORM 1.2's criterion is limited to 1 but you didn't check neither. If you really have no quiz at all, choose for slide views. Some LMSs have bit of trouble with 100% slide views, but you can try it out. I suspect that your Reporting is the culprit, reason why I was confused when you tell that you don't have a quiz, and checked a lot of boxes just for the quiz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer my question: did you add any points to an interaction, like clicking the Next button.

I have tried multiple times - with and without scoring implementation. Doesn't register as completion either way.

You cannot base a criterion for completion on a score if there is no score. And under the Quiz Preferences you did 

add the Results slide? Do you ever see a score there?

Have tried submitting a module with scoring implementation and without - Again, module doesn't register as a completion either way.

Since you are on version 12, the Setttings have moved to the Interactions button of that score slide. Can you post a screenshot of those? I suspect that you are pretty new to Captivate.

Yes I am new to Captivate. It's why I'm using a trial version.

SCORM 1.2's criterion is limited to 1 but you didn't check neither. If you really have no quiz at all, choose for slide views. Some LMSs have bit of trouble with 100% slide views, but you can try it out. I suspect that your Reporting is the culprit, reason why I was confused when you tell that you don't have a quiz, and checked a lot of boxes just for the quiz.

Once again, I have attempted to submit a module with a question and without. I have also submitted the settings as a slide-view completion, that hasn't worked either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, if you don't want to add a quiz and want "the user to simply read content / view videos and click a 'next slide' button to naviage through the module. There are five pages plus an intro silde", then I wonder if the settings under Quizzing/Reporting are right.

Success/Completion Criteria are not set by you at all. I would check Slide views. And then, as you are saying that "There are five pages plus an intro silde." and "The last slide has an 'exit course' button" I would compose the module to 7 slides with 5 slides containing essential contents sandwiched inbetween the intro and exit slide. Back to the Success/Completion Criteria I would select the number option and enter 5. This is because I've read here repeatedly that Slide views with 100% or all slides selected do never register as completed in an LMS. I haven't tested this myself, always have Quiz/Quiz is Passed or the quiz Attempt level is reached in my projects. But it should make sense when you want a completion without a quiz. 

You know that you can test that in the SCORM Cloud if the "LMS run by another company" gives you a headache.

Of course with these settings don't "include a question at the end of the module".

And lastly, under General I would also uncheck Allow users to review the quiz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, you took over the comment I have posted multiple times: some LMSs consider a slide only as being completed when the last frame has been visited.  But that was always for older versions where you had complete control over the pausing points in slides.  In that new version pausing points are no longer visible, lot of the functionality is hidden (MS-style) and that makes it not easy. I am not sure at whether this applies to the new version.

However none of the two radioboxes (Slide views not Quiz percentage) has been activated. In an older version to be sure on any LMS I would choose Quiz, but add a score to a button which needs to be clicked/tapped and require a 100% passing percentage. That was the easiest way but it needs to be explored by the New Captivate experts. It has no sense to add a score slide, this is a tweaking where the learner shouldn't be aware of. It will avoid potential issues with Slide views not being evaluated correctly.

It makes no sense to test in SCORM Cloud if the criterion is not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Benn Brody Sorry my answer crossed yours. 

You didn't understand my questions. Each item can get an interaction, like clicking to go to the Next slide which you used for the Next button. At the end of the Interactions panel (opens with second button in the right panel) you'll find the Reporting section. If you activate that section you'll be able to edit the score to perform the click action to that Next button. By default it will be 1 point. If you do this for all the buttons, 5 slides can result in 5 points.

Summarized: either try first out by clicking the radio button in the Reporting criterion next to Slide views and see if the new version on you LMS is registering it correctly. OR

Keep your quiz criterion, and add at least ONE scored interaction using the Reporting section for that interaction. Set the passing score to 100%. That cannot be done in the Preferences, you need to go to the Score slide, which you already added. Click the second button (Interactions) in the Slide panel to the right, under the Properties butto. You can set up the Pässing score and more there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources