• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate VR projects and Hotspot actions

Participant ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a stretch, but has anyone been able to make a workaround for controlling some aspects of a VR project:

Firstly, I've realised that it's better to create a regular project and insert VR slides, but that aside...

1. Styling hotspot elements - other than either inserting custom PNG files as images.  The question is, where are the assets stored? Inspecting the source makes reference to canvas objects which I can't seem to locate in the JS file.
  2. Creating slide transitions between VR slides - adding hotspot links to other VR slides makes an unsightly jump between the 2.
  3. Zooming in / out on a VR slide - how is this possible?
  4. Fullscreen VR - doesn't seem to work even if publish settings are defined.
  5. Assigning Advanced Actions / JS to hotspots. I know this isn't built in, but I've managed to achieve some of this using the A-Frame JS library. So I guess this is a feature request of sorts. Anyone got ideas?
TOPICS
Advanced actions , Virtual reality

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I've answered one item from my list above:

The icon images can be found in the published folder in dr/ (as they always have been)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also noticed a bunch of console errors - the THREE JS library is throwing dozens of deprecated errors. It'd be great if these were updated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

because I'm too into Captivate VR projects and looking to extend the basic workings of those I want to reach out to you for an exchange of experiences.

The most interesting and challenging point of your post is No. 5) how to assign Actions or JS to hotspots. Well, I'm trying the same. But there isn't much to go on.

You will have noticed (as I have) that in a CP VR project there's only a VERY limited amount of Actions available. What's missing entirely is to apply any advanced actions or to execute Javascript. Also one cannot add or access any Advanced Actions ... or Variables ... under Project in the CP main menu.

That's all greyed out. I named my hotspots in one project with logical Ids but it is impossible to locate them as elements in the HTML structure. There's a <canvas> and that's it. It doesn't go any deeper to attach any eventlisteners and such. If there would be something like I know from Adobe Animate HTML5 canvas where one can utilize createJS to control elements for triggering events that would be wonderful. Though it doesn't look like that in Captivate.

You are saying "that I've managed to achieve some of this using the A-Frame JS library" - well, I looked at A-frame which is based on three.js I believe - could you describe in a few words how and what you've managed?

Your point "Zooming in / out on a VR slide - how is this possible?" - I fear it's not. At least for now and the current version of CP.

Fullscreen VR - would be great, wouldn't it. But without executing Javascript how can one apply the JS Fullscreen API to request a user to accept (or not) to switch to fullscreen. I am actually thinking about a 'normal' HTML intro page with a mechanic for a user to switch to fullscreen and a link to the CP VR module.

From your own reply: "the THREE JS library is throwing dozens of deprecated errors" - these warnings are actually written into the CPM.js which CP itself publishes with one's project. So in my project there is for example in line 51234 this code in CPM.js:

console.warn( 'THREE.ImageUtils.loadTexture has been deprecated. Use THREE.TextureLoader() instead.' );

All of the deprecated warnings (not errors) which I encounter are all coded in CPM.js in this way.

In the end, please bombard Adobe with Feature Requests in this matter. I'll plan to do the same. If CP VR remains as poor as it is now I would have to consider another way (like A-frame perhaps) for my VR experiments.

Stay in contact if you like

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Klaus

For some reason, I missed this post. I'll be honest, despite being an Adobe Evangelist and champion of Captivate, I'm becoming increasingly underwhelmed with the way that it performs and is supported.

Adobe still charge me for my Creative Suite and Captivate licenses every month, yet they can't seem to bother getting a few basic things right.

Like Fonts. Don't get me started on crappy text rendering.

Adobe Support is minimal, and if you do get a response, it's either patronising or full of waffle why it just can't be done.

I'm at a tipping point.

However, returning to the topic, after diving deeply into the often-erroring CPM.js,  particularly the cp object, there are potentially some workarounds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Thanks for you reply. Better late than never 😉

I understand your frustration. To be honest I'm underwhelmed as well and have more or less stopped to engage with Captivate matters. So I'm not communicating much here in the so called community. And Captivate itself, well, I do my work, trainings and quizzes, but without much fun. I have stopped with VR entirely, at least for now. Should i ever start again I'll get another app for that (3DVista maybe). And to build something good I'm currently relying much more on Animate. To build sequential learning steps where i can animate properly and make things appear in a sequence at the same place. With Fluid Boxes in a so called responsive project in Captivate alone this is a cramp.

So, you see, I might be even more frustrated than you are.

Reading this whole thread again, in one issue I developed a solution of some kind. It's Cp-VR in Fullscreen. It's a while ago and by heart I don't remember all the details. It has to do with Javascript Fullscreen API and iFrame. If you are curious you can take a peek here

Can you please elaborate the thing with the cp object a little more.

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that your studio?

How awesomely cool!

I love it.
It does take a bit of time to load, but it's worth it!

Let me go away now and absorb your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Klaus.

Have you tried Tumult Hype?

It's got a heap of the features that Animate has, plus a bunch that Captivate has, is real simple to use and edit the CSS / JS.

Plus (drum roll) it allows you to use fonts from any CDN and have them render crisp and clean! Winner!

(oh, and it's super cheap)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I could concentrate on a project with so many people pointing fingers and guns at me.

Too much pressure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I follow, Rod?
But I'm guessing you're talking about the inside of Klaus's studio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not my studio. It is the one of Axel Bottenberg who likes to work with cultural memes which seemingy involves pointing a lot of fire arms. Well, America. I made this VR project for Axel for his upcoming website. Still not online I just discovered - not good.

Anyway - I have a studio there as well (Bankley Studios and Gallery) but mine looks totally different, I work with beeswax (sculptures, reliefs and so on).

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources