Exit

Captivate2019 - Audio plays in preview but not in output

Participant ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am facing a weird issue.
I have an eLearning module about 100+ slides and I have added text-to-speech to it.

The preview from slide 1 works perfectly. I can click any slide from the ToC and the audio/video plays perfectly.
When I take an output the audio plays only for the first 2 slides. If I click later slides in the ToC the audio doesn't play. Any idea why this happens?

TOPICS
Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try making sure there is a slight gap at the beginning and end of the audio clip on each slide.  If the audio is currently hard up against the ends of the slide timeline, Captivate will sometimes 'stitch' the audio clips together into one large clip.  Having gaps at each end of each clip ensures that clips are kept separate.

That's one possible solution.

Another one is to check whether there are navigation buttons on your slides that might be pausing the slide timelines and therefore stopping the audio from playing.  If that ends up being the case, changing the navigation button settings to NOT pause the timeline might be all you need to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I think the second problem is blocking the audio as we have navigation button (Next). Why would it work in a preview then?
Any idea how to set the button to not pause the timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to pop in, but slide audio will not be paused by the pausing point of a button, unless you specify that in the button options. Only the command Pause will pause slide audio. More information in this overview blog:

Pausing Timeline and Audio clips - eLearning (adobe.com)

You didn't give much details, but if you ever used Ready-to-go slides (from the Assets panel) you need to know that several of them do have the command Pause on Enter. Another link:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/tips-adding-audio-to-qsp-slides-ready-to-go-slides

Another hint: it may not be a good idea to take out the pausing point of a button at all. You can move the pausing point, or use the Timing Properties to do so. That is also the place where you could take out the pausing point if it is really necessary.

If this is a non-responsive project, the Preview from slide is based on SWF technology. It is recommended to use only F11, Preview HTML in Browser to check the full functionality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have first 10 slides that have a Next button. And it should play the audio and wait for the user to click Next. Similar such slides I have later in between. They are mostly title slides before a software simulation starts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start the timeline of the Next button near the end of the slide audio. Its pausing point doesn't matter at all as I wrote before, but the button will then appear only at the end of the audio. Post a screenshot of such a slide timeline, maybe I can offer a more detailed indication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If by "preview" you are referring to playing the slide timeline in Edit mode, then you need to understand that buttons on the slide do not pause the timeline in that view. 

If you want a true way to see what the content will play like when it is published, use the Preview as HTML5, not the Play Slide (F3) option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources