• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional slide showing when it shouldn't be

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've built a "Jeopardy" style study guide for our software users.  There is a question board of 25 questions they can pick in any order.  They select a question, it takes them to that slide, and if they get the answer correct, it displays a big "Correct!" graphic, waits 3 seconds and then jumps back to the question selection board.  If they get it wrong, it goes to the next slide which has a more detailed explanation of why they got it wrong, then when they're done reading they click anywhere to jump back to the question board. They can only see those detailed slides if they get the question wrong, or the time limit to answer (16 seconds) is met.
It works great...
Except every now and then, if they get the question correct, it will show the 'correct' graphic, but then jump to that next slide with the wrong answer explanation.  The user still gets the proper points for the question, and it logs as a correct response.
The Advanced Actions I'm using to make this happen are extremely simple, and this one is used on all question slides (Slide 3 is the main question selection board):

kgmeloy_procU_0-1648756093302.png

I've checked every parameter that is being used - No. of Attempts (1), Time Limits, Slide Timing, everything is identical on all question slides, and this happens in a totally random manner, I can't duplicate it on purpose at all.

kgmeloy_procU_1-1648756832854.png

Under the Quiz tab, the only difference on each question slide is which Slide they are sent to on the Last Attempt: Jump to slide (which is always the next slide in the deck with the detailed explanation).

Since there is a 3-second pause so the user sees the "Correct!" graphic, I thought maybe it was a timer issue, so I tried waiting until the countdown reached 2 seconds or less to give a correct answer (in case that pause crossed the page's time limit), except it worked as expected, so it wasn't that.  Also, this happens when there is plenty of time left.

Is it possible this is some kind of browser cacheing issue?  I've been going through the test dozens of times (both in HTML 5 preview and published to our LMS) to make sure everything functions correctly as I've been building.  I'm totally baffled here.

TOPICS
Advanced actions , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Many possibilities could create this problem, I didn't answer yet because too much information is needed. 

Advanced answer option is only available for one type of questions: MCQ with one correct answer. However I have serious doubts that this could solve the problem. It should be perfectly possible to use the Success and Last Attempt actions of the quiz or KC slide.

You use an image for the Correct bubble, which is timed for the rest of the project since you have only one ID for that bubble. Wh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are  you using Knowkedge Check Question or Quiz Question slides for your questions?

The "On Success" checkbox relates to a button being pressed - it doesn't relate to the answer being correct or incorrect; that's handled by Captivate...

You could use the "Advanced Answer Option" for the correct answer - here you could make the call to your "CorrectAnswerSoundAndJump" action.

If the answer is wrong, then a "wrong answer - click here for an explanation" message can appear as the "Failure Message" and when clicked the "flow" of the project will take you onto the next slde for the explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you removed any of the default components from these question slides?  For example, have you deleted either the Question Title (True/False, Multiple Choice, etc) or replaced the Question Text caption?

If default components are removed from quiz question slides you can sometimes get these types of random behaviours at runtime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to double check that, but have verified that all of the default components are still there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many possibilities could create this problem, I didn't answer yet because too much information is needed. 

Advanced answer option is only available for one type of questions: MCQ with one correct answer. However I have serious doubts that this could solve the problem. It should be perfectly possible to use the Success and Last Attempt actions of the quiz or KC slide.

You use an image for the Correct bubble, which is timed for the rest of the project since you have only one ID for that bubble. Why did you not use the feedback success shape and fill it with an image on the quizzing master slides? It would avoid the need for the Delay command which can be tricky. I will not elaborate on that too long. First of all I would like to see an image of a quiz slide and its timeline.

Are you sure the main slide 3 is IN the quiz scope?

It looks like you want kind of Remediation workflow, but custom created instead of using the built in version. There may be a problem with the setup of your very complicated navigation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like getting rid of my persistent 'correct' bubble and instead using an image in the success shape on the the quiz master slide did the trick, it (as you mentioned) allowed me to simplify my navigation on the questions to simple "Jump to Slide" and get rid of the Advanced Actions there.  I don't know how I missed that you could use an imported image in the success shape, but I did.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have shown that possibility in blog posts... but most people only want to see passive videos, not read blogs nor watch Captivate tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources