Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable click to continue

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Captivate Community.

I have build a elearning presentation by importing a provided PPT by my client. Everything works perfect and its almost ready to ship. The only issue i have is: when the user clicks anywhere on the slide, the slide advances. I want to disable that function. I have built custom navigation for the user, with back and forward arrows.

How can i disable the click-to-continue function?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

May I translate this to what I understand now? The click boxes were not pausing the slide, you never told about buttons because buttons DO have the option to disallow Continue Playing the Project when using a simple action.

You did use a workflow which I described in an old post about the Timeline, where you put a Shape button (another button cannot be used) on the Blank master slide. If you keep the default setting, that button will pause each slide, based on the Blank master slide at its las

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check out the Timeline? Do you have a click box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh yes i have many clickboxes on some slides. i just want the user to use the navigation i build. so the user does not just randomly click the background and skip ahead

O2TnQCy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Such an amount of click boxes?  What are they triggering as actions? Are those simple actions (from the dropdown list) and if yes, did you uncheck the option 'Continue playing the project'?  

I was looking for THE click box, inserted on import of the PPT slides which was covering the slide and had the action 'Go to Next Slide'.

Click boxes will soon disappear, they are already banned from Fluid Boxes projects. 

Do you have stacked Click boxes as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all the click boxes use the acton "jump to slide X". thats it.

i have not checked if "Continue playing the project" is checked or unchecked yet, but i will!

so basically the original PPTX file has a whole embedded navigation systen with back and forth buttons, a whole index to jump from each chapter to the next and back, it has tabs to switch between two views, it has a quiz with several answers to choose from and it has a hint popup.

when i first imported the pptx i did see the big screen filling click box which just acted like one big button to advance one page, i have removed them from all slides since i didnt think i would need it. is that an issue?

this project is a non responsive scaleable html project, therefore im not worried about the issue with the fluid boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i been looking for the "Continue playing the project" option, but i have not found it yet.

all i have found is the option "pause project until user clicks". is this the one you were speaking of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked if you got a click box that fills the whole canvas? 

/Jacob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes when i first imported the PPTX file, captivate has laid these screen filling boxes over my content, but since i felt like i didnt need those i have removed them, has that been a mistake?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click Boxes pause the timeline until the user clicks them, then their assigned actions get executed.

In your case, if you wanted the timeline to continue from slide to slide without pausing, then you would rightly remove the Click Boxes you added when importing the PPT.  That would mean that the timeline kept running until some other interactive object (e.g. your added navigation buttons) paused the timeline again.

Since Click Boxes are invisible to the user, providing navigation buttons would make more sense if you wanted to make it obvious to the user how to move to the next slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The navigation is embedded into the PPTX presentation, it was created with an always visible navigation bar in mind by the creator.

So after importing the PPTX into captivate, i have removed the big fullscreen clickbox and instead i have added clickboxes over these embedded buttons, recreating their function in captivate by using the "jump to slide X" function.

I just would like captivate to NOT advance a slice, when the user clicks outside one of my clickboxes.

It seems like it shouldnt be this hard to achieve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should stick with my planning never to answer PPT import questions anymore. It is one of the worst features of Captivate (sorry, I am a big defender of Captivate, but not for this feature), and rarely leads to efficient eLearning. Each slide is converted to a sort of movie slide if it is not completely static. You had a lot going on in the PPT slide, which is very difficult to reproduce in Captivate because you have no control over individual objects. The problem is probably due to Captivate trying to mimick the behavior in Captivate. Click boxes are old, soon to be deprecated. You don't have a way to avoid Continue Playing the project, except by using the old workflow to replace each simple action by a shared or advanced action which will keep the play head paused.

Please, if you want HTML conversion for PPT go for a PPT plugin like iSpring, do not use Captivate.

Other proposal: recreate from scratch. You can unzip the PPT folder, extract the useful assets and import them in the Library of a new Captivate project. 

You probably can also have issues with 'Scalable HMTL output'....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have basically obscured the blank background canvas with an invisible button, set the function of it to "none".

So now the user can click away but it wont advance any slides unless they click on the actual buttons i have set up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

May I translate this to what I understand now? The click boxes were not pausing the slide, you never told about buttons because buttons DO have the option to disallow Continue Playing the Project when using a simple action.

You did use a workflow which I described in an old post about the Timeline, where you put a Shape button (another button cannot be used) on the Blank master slide. If you keep the default setting, that button will pause each slide, based on the Blank master slide at its last frame, whatever the duration of that slide. Since the PPT slides do use the Blank master slide, this option will work.

Here is a link to that old post:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/easy-timeline-tweaks

It is Tip 1, applied in this case not to the Main master slide, but to the Blank daughter master slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources