Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable Next button until video is reviewed

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm working with SCORM 1.2 (client requirement), not SWF/PDF or anything else. They want a 4 slide project (Title slide, instructions, video, and completion) that requires the user to view a video to complete their training. The issue is that I cannot figure out how to disable the "Next" button in the SCORM player so they cannot skip to the Training Complete slide.

How can I make the video required viewing / disabling the next button?

Jason

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but this is confusing: which Next button are you talking about. SCORM has no buttons, it is just a way of publishing a Captivate project to make it possible to transfer results of the course to a LMS. Everything else is Captivate. You can publish to SWF, to HTML, to PDF and all of them can be SCORM-compliant.

If you want such requirement, you need to create custom navigation buttons, do not use the default playbar. Before explaining more: are you talking about the Next button on such a default playbar in Captivate?

BTW I changed the title of this thread, since a SCORM button doesn't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, sort of a Noob here. 🙂

It appears I'm using the HTML version of the SCORM package, not SWF or PDF. So I cannot change the Captivate player buttons, and would have to add custom buttons to include this functionality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

First disable your player in Theme -> TOC and untick "show playback control" under the first tab. Now use custom navigation buttons (smartshapes). Just add a smartshape with an action "Next slide"and time it after your video duration or use an advanced iaction.

Kind regards,
Johan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to tell you that you have to get rid of the playbar, either for the whole project with this work flow:

• In menu Project, choose Skin Editor and uncheck Show Playbar of first tab
  • Go to the second tab 'Borders' and uncheck the borders or you will remain with a thick bottom border where the playbar was

If you only want to have the playbar disappear on the video slide, you can use this approach:

• In the Properties panel for the Slide go to the tab Actions
  • Next to On Enter, open the dropdown list and choose 'Hide Playbar
  • Don't forget to do something similar on the next slide (Completion) and choose now 'Show Playbar'

As for the Next button, since you probably want to have the Next buttons starting at different times on the slides, you don't need to use a shape button (they have some advantages, can be put on the master slide or on the first slide timed for the rest of the project, but in your case this is not useful), you can also use normal buttons. If you want each slide to pause, be sure the Next buttons have a pausing point (which is the case by default). For the Video slide, move the playhead in the TImeline panel to the end of the video and insert the button there. It will only appear then when the video is finished. For the other slides, you could have the Next button from the start.

Beware: this will only work if the video is controlled by Captivate, which means it has to be inserted as multi-slide synchronized video, not as an event video which plays independently of Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use an Event Video, this script will listen for the end of the video and can activate a custom next button or show the playbar whatever you want to do. If you put the script in the head of you HTML document or attach it in an external JS file, it should do the trick.

var interfaceObj, eventEmitterObj;

window.addEventListener( "moduleReadyEvent", function( e )
{
interfaceObj = e.Data;
    eventEmitterObj = interfaceObj.getEventEmitter();
    initializeEventListeners();
});

function initializeEventListeners()
{
if ( interfaceObj )
{
  if ( eventEmitterObj )
  {
   eventEmitterObj.addEventListener( "CPAPI_SLIDEENTER", function( e )
   {
    initSLide( e );                                                          
   });
  }
}
}

function initSLide( e )

for ( var i = 0; i < e.Data.si.length; i++ )
{
  if ( e.Data.si[ i ].t == 98 )
  {
   setTimeout( function () { addVideoListener( e.Data.si[ i ].n + 'c' ); }, 0100 );  
   break;
  }
}        
}

function addVideoListener( v )
{
var vid = document.getElementById( v ).childNodes[ 0 ];  
  vid.onended = function () { vid.currentTime = 0; showNext() };
}

function showNext()
{
console.log( 'Show Next' )
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the code, but I'm really a newbie to all this. Is there a way to use the Advance Actions to get the same result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to explain that control by Captivate (advanced or shared actions) is only possible for multi-slide synchronized video. That is the reason that TLCMediaDesign offered you a workaround with JS since you want event video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested this code and it works without any tweaks. All you need to do it to change:

console.log( 'Show Next' )

to

cp.show("yourButtonName")

where yourButtonName is the name of your next button.

You can put the code in the HTML template file or paste it in the <head> section of the published HTML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your answers.. It's been very useful for me and working fine.

Siraj.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources