• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone know how to implement playback speeds into my published modules?

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CEO of my company requested adding the ability for learners to speed up, or slow down entire published modules. Is this possible? We publish our learning courses on Moodle if that helps at all. If it involves Javascript coding I have a basic foundation in coding, I just need to be pointed in the right direction first 😉

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the FPS value?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default FPS, or frames per second is 30.

A custom button with Execute JavaScript could do this.

If you wanted to switch to say 1.5x speed you would use

cp.movie.fps=45;

for half speed you would use

cp.movie.fps=15;

You could also create a button to slowly increment or decrement the speed but that would take a little more work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had tried this myself a while back on a project, but with a slide with audio, it would not increase (or mute) the audio speed. It would only change the animations in the slide.  

Same thing with an mp4 set as a slide video. Didn't change it.

I found that a button that skipped ahead or back a certain number of seconds worked great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - this basically adjusts the speed of the Captivate timeline.

I suppose anything running independent of that would not be affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if the effect would be different if you adjusted the speed instead of the FPS...?

cp.movie.speed=0.5;

or

cp.movie.speed=2.5;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a test with that and it had the same results for a course with animations and mp3s in the slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose.

The speed parameter acts as a multiplier to the current FPS setting.

That is essentially what the fast forward button does by cycling through  1x,  2x,  and  4x  speed.

Using JavaScript would just allow for more options.

I personally do not use a playbar at all so have not done any extensive testing with these.

It will be up to the original poster now to decide if these options will serve their needs or not.

Perhaps the modules will need to be built with these choices in mind.

Maybe someone else will have a better option but this is pretty much all I got.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it make a difference if the audio is attached to an object on the timeline rather than slide audio?

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent you a sample captivate file by PM, since the forum is not letting me post captivate files as attachments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Chris - 

Does the file you sent solve the playback question? If so, might you be willing to share. We have also been tasked to investiage this. 

Thanks,

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I am using 4 buttons to allow us (administrators) to skip ahead and back in slides so we don't have to watch the entire slide.  By default, the buttons are hidden, but if you are logged into our system as an administrator, they show up.  If you set them up as smartshapes, they will automatically be visible through the entire course without needing to copy them to every slide.  I just set the button's actions to be the below for jumping ahead 5 seconds and 10.  

window.cpAPIInterface.setVariableValue("cpCmndGotoFrameAndResume",cpInfoCurrentFrame+150); 
window.cpAPIInterface.setVariableValue("cpCmndGotoFrameAndResume",cpInfoCurrentFrame+300);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is the only conclusion I've ever come up with, is to skip ahead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources