Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fluid box wrapping

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!!

I am having WAY too much trouble with symetrical wrapping. 

Here is what I have right now:

2019-12-10_2152.png

But I want it to wrap more like 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. I set the wrap option to Symetrical but that didn't so anything and then when I try and put padding between them it just makes all the circles smaller instead of actually wrapping them... 

Any ideas as to why???

Thank you!!

TOPICS
Advanced , Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you test and which version on which OS are you using?

If you have set this to Symmetrical, and you make the resolution smaller, two circles at a time will move down, ending up with 4 on top and 4 on bottom, but first you'll have 6 on top and 2 on bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing you want to look at is the wrap option percentage. You can set this on the top parent fluid box. The idea is that if you set the wrap option percentage to 80% (as an example) when your screen size gets to 80% of what the desktop size is, the wrap to another row will occur. With eight objects in a fluid box and a wrap option percentage set at 80%, once you are down to approximately 80% of the size of the desktop view, the objects will split in two, and you will have four on one row and four on the next row. Symmetrical will always keep it equally divided if you have an even number of objects. If the objects are an odd number, symmetrical does the same as one row / one column. If you would like to have more control at what percentage various fluid boxes wrap at, open your preferences (Shift+F8) and select the Defaults Category. Then select Enable WrapPoint to set unique wrap point percentage values for each fluid box independently of one another. I find this gives you greater control over when various wraps occur.

2019-12-11_10-34-54.png

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, 

I am so excited you answered my question! I have been watching so many of your videos to understand these fluid boxes. I am new to the Instructional Design field, I graduated with my masters in august 2018. This job I am working on now is a contract job, I am trying to build my experience with.  I do understand the wrap percentage, I was just hoping there was a way to have it have 4 on top and bottom, or side by side, in the largest desktop view as well. I did end up just having 2 fluid box so the Smart shapes could be larger. Like this:

2019-12-11_2048.png

Honestly, I am not a fan of the responsive project and fluid boxes. It seems so restrictive to me.

Kimberly Usry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit off topic, but you may ignore that Fluid Boxes is not the only way to make a project viewable on all devvices:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/fluid-boxes-or-breakpoint-views

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are those who have decided that fluid box responsive design isn't worth it because it's hard to do, or that the mobile audience only represents less than 5% of all users completing eLearning. There was once a time when everyone rode carriages drawn by horses and probably thought that this whole automobile thing was just a fad. My prediction is that in five years, this will be a skill set that you will have to have to stay competitive. I'm already beginning to see that the clients of today are asking about responsive design. When they are hiring eLearning designers and developers, they are not considering candidates that don't offer responsive as a solution.

I just finished a significant project where other developers and I converted many hours of traditional desktop eLearning into mobile-ready fluid box responsive design training. It was not easy, and there were many challenges. I can assure you that it gets more comfortable over time, but it's important to note that there are things you can't do. Designing for mobile, regardless of what methodology you use, requires a different mindset. As you design (not develop) your course, think about what you are asking your mobile audience to do. It might be entirely reasonable for a desktop audience to type out a series of fill-in-the-blank answers. The person completing your eLearning while riding the commuter train might be standing and using their phone with one hand. Their phone might be 360 pixels wide and 640 pixels tall. When they touch that same fill-in-the-blank field, their tiny screen will also have an on-screen keyboard suddenly appear blocking part of the display.

Coincidentally I'm doing a live stream on Monday on the topic of building a fluid box responsive theme for Adobe Captivate. You may wish to join in. I've provided the link below. If you follow the link now, you can set yourself a reminder, but the link will serve as a way to join live. After the live event has occurred, you can use the link to also watch the recording.

Make a Fluid Box Responsive Design Theme 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kimberly,

in my experience the Wrap Options (like Symmetrical) only really work with further nested Fluid Boxes. Meaning you have to create an outer Fluid Box with the Wrap Option Symmetrical, and in this one you nest in your case further 8 Fluid Boxes, for each circle a seperate Fluid Box. That will work:

Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 11.42.11.png

Greetings, Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources