• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Force iPad Safari to Use Mobile View Instead of Desktop

Community Expert ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the introduction of iPadOS, drag and drop doesn't function in Adobe Captivate published materials when using the default browser Safari. The reason for this is that the Safari browser loads the desktop view instead of the mobile view. If you switch to mobile view, the drag and drop works fine. I was wondering if injecting a line or two into my index.html or adding some JavaScript into my project to force iPad Safari to load my projects in mobile view. I don't really want to provide instructions to my iPad clients to switch to mobile view. It should be something more easy and seamless for them. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "switch to mobile view" - are you referring to turning off the 'Request Desktop Website' setting for Safari?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mobile view was the default on Safari for iOS on iPads prior to version 13. For version 13, Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decided that iPads would essentially be desktop devices. Thus iPads now use "iPadOS" not iOS. Full desktop view is now the default for Safari on iPads and the option is to override that and request mobile site. Drag and drop seems to only work on the mobile version and since the default is now desktop, clients require manual intervention to see interactions like drag and drop. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - but in the settings for Safari on the iPad there is an option to turn off the desktop request.

I was wondering if that is what you meant -

Do you want to override that setting with JavaScript so the user does not have to change it in settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's it exactly.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Paul,

Did you find a solution? i'm having the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So far the only solution is to inform iPad users to switch to mobile view manually. There must be a way to force mobile view through JavaScript but not a JavaScript expert. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources