Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GeoLocation variable

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Does cpInfoGeoLocation variable only works on mobile? Does it return the value for learners using PC/desktops?

thanks,

Maryam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Hello Maryam,

Yes!PC/Desktops can also be geolocalised based on the network they are connected to and their IP address.So it is not specific to mobile devices alone. That being said, the accuracy of geolocation data largely depends on the device used.

Thanks,

Charu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Maryam,

Yes!PC/Desktops can also be geolocalised based on the network they are connected to and their IP address.So it is not specific to mobile devices alone. That being said, the accuracy of geolocation data largely depends on the device used.

Thanks,

Charu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charu,

Are you saying that on runtime every Captivate course, when it doesn't find a GPS, under the hood would sniff out learner's ip address, pull coordinates from some IP lookup service and populate cpInfoGeoLocation with it?

If not, how would you implement such a solution in Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My experience has been that it gets the GPS of the ISP and uses them. In my case, the ISP is in Chicago and I am in Minnesota. So not very useful. I had to create a GPS variable to hold my local coordinates.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this helps but when you create a project that uses the geolocation system variable and are merely testing it using the preview function, the project preview allows you to simulate geolocation. For example, if I'm in Canada and was designing a course to demonstrate this in Las Vegas, I don't need to be in Las Vegas to test it.

Here is a video tutorial I did on the subject if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/7R2lGE4fc1Y

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

Thanks for the information and awesome video.

Maryam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, this is really a good explanation.

Is there a way to read an external API to show info in Captivate course and submitting the response/feedback for same.

For example, I would like to validate the user while s/he taking the course. For this, I have 10 question which user have t submit before enrolling/starting the course. While taking the course these questions will come randomly with input text filed to submit the answer. If answer matched with a previously submitted answer than you can continue with the course.

Thanks!

Pankaj Srivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the feedback. Can I suggest that you ask your question in a new question instead of putting inline with this thread? That will help keep the forums more organized.

As far as your question above, I have no idea what you are asking. Try explaining what you want to do without using terms like 'external API' and so on.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback.

Maryam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources