• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with quizzes- retake only quiz questions they have failed

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I would like to huild the following functionality into one of my quizzes using Captivate 5.5 but don't know if it is possible or how to do it.  Any ideas?? I want someone once they have completed a quiz, if they have got some questions wrong I would like to enable the learners to retake these questions i.e. only the questions they got wrong not the whole assessment.  If anyone could advise me if this type of functionality is possible and guide me to some places explaining how to do this that would be very helpful. Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Captivate allows you to run javascript.  It's one of the possible actions you can take on events, right above "Execute advanced actions" there's "Execute Javascript"

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This functionality does not currently exist in Captivate, but I have seen a number of people asking about it over the past year or so.  I suggest you submit a feature request to Adobe about this to add your voice to the others that want to see something like this added in a future version.

In the meantime, you may be able to put together something like this by creating custom question slides that are built with standard interactive objects rather than the Captivate quiz templates.  It would require quite a lot of work and involve lots of variables and Advanced Actions, but it is possible in theory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What ashame that this isn't build into Adobe Captivate yet.  Thanks for your help again Rod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some examples of custom created question slides on my blog, that have that functionality:

http://lilybiri.posterous.com/extended-textarea-widget-more-functionality

http://lilybiri.posterous.com/extended-widgets-for-custom-mcq-and-tf-questi

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im actually building something similar to that right now.

At the first slide set up an array at the root level, this will be a boolean array the length of your quiz and fill it with zeros.  This contains the data where we figure out if a slide has been answered correctly or not.  If a slide is answered correctly it sets its corrosponding array slot to 1.  If not it remains zero.

The first action all slides take is to check if they are answered correctly.  If they have already been answered correctly they are skipped.  The final slide checks to see if all questions have been answered correclty.  If yes, it continues.  If no it starts over.

Pretty simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Captivate no array is possible, so you are talking about Flash or JavaScript?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate allows you to run javascript.  It's one of the possible actions you can take on events, right above "Execute advanced actions" there's "Execute Javascript"

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that very well, but offered a solution that doesn't need Javascript, works perfect with advanced actions. Not all users want or know how to use JavaScript.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I took your saying "In Captivate no array is possible, so you are talking about Flash or JavaScript?" as implying that you cannot create an array in Captivate.

Advanced actions are clunky, ugly, and difficult to use.  I advise you learn just a little bit of Javascript, it'll make your life a lot easier.  After all you're doing essentially the same thing with advanced actions that you are with Javascript, just a different syntax.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, again, I learned JavaScript but most users prefer to keep with Captivate, do not want to learn a programming language. And you should be amazed at what advanced actions can do, there I disagree totally.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah I think people's fear of learning a scripting language ends up losing them a lot of time in the long run.  I dont doubt you can do a lot of neat things with Advanced Actions, but for the most part it's simply easier to execute them in Javascript.

Also the fact taht you can't create an array with just advanced actions makes it more difficult and complicated.  You end up having way too many variables to easily manage.

I will say this about Javascript in captivate.  It can be a debugging nightmare.  There is just simply not enough debug support.  Heck it doesn't even check syntax.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources