• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create multiple success buttons on a slide

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  I'm new to Captivate and am trying to create a question and answer slide that will include four buttons for the user to choose from but requires selecting two of those four in order to advance to the next slide.  In other words, in order to get the question right, two specific buttons must be chosen out of the four.  It seems like drag and drop may be one way to achieve this (although to be honest I'm not sure if that is necessarily true) but I don't want the drag and drop feature.  I simply want to use four smart shapes turned into button that will show a success message and advance when the correct two buttons are chosen. Please help!  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it really necessary to do this with buttons? Why not use a Multiple Choice question with two correct answers? It can be a scored question or a Knowledge Check question. 

I can explain how to do this with  your shape buttons, but that means you'll need to create a counter variable and some advanced or shared actions.  Are you familiar with variables and advanced/shared actions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response @Lilybiri. I considered a knowledge check
question but I am not familiar with how to use the advanced actions. I'm
not sure how flexible knowledge check would be with my design, but I assume
I can move the elements around; if this is possible then yes, please let me
know how to proceed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lilybiri, here is a screenshot of the slide I am working on with the buttons.  I want the slide to advance after the two correct buttons have been selected.  Ideally it would be great if they changed colors once selected so that the two correct buttons remain green, for example.  And the wrong buttons are selected they will show up in red.  It seemed as though with the Knowledge Check slide, I was limited to the format/design of the slide.  Perhaps there is a way to use the same funcionality in the format I have created?  

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.36.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way you are currently building this slide WILL require you to use Conditional Advanced Actions and Object States; two things that (from your description of your current skills with Captivate) are very likely to be beyond you.

If you had just chosen to use a Multiple Response  Knowledge Check question or Quiz Question slide, then you would not need any Advanced Actions.  It would not look exactly the same as what you are building.  But you would be finished a few minutes, instead of having to spend many hourse working out the details.

Just insert a Quiz question slide, from the dialog list choose Multiple Choice as the question type, and then when the slide is added to your project, go to the Quiz tab and select the option for Multiple Answers.  Your quiz question will then have check boxes instead of radio buttons and you can word the answer options as you have them in your screenshot.

If the look and feel shown in your screenshot is not negotiable, then you are going to need to learn a lot more about how to use Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not willing to negotiate the design, which is why I'm seeking help.  But thanks so much for your insight.  If it is too complicated, I may have to hire someone instead of spending more hours on this but I thought I would check here first.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The color change is easy. Add the InBuilt state 'Visited' to each button, and make it look green for the correct and red for the wrong buttons.

For the functionality, you'll need advanced actions and one variable which I will label v_counter. Define it with a start value of 0.

What do you want to happen after the correct buttons have been clicked? That is still not clear to me. If you don't want anything to happen, the Visited state is all you need.

If you want a Next button to appear, you only need an advanced action for the correct buttons. Make the Next button invisible in output (eye button in its properties).  The advanced will have two decisions:

1. Decision 1 'Always' will have one command and is not conditional:
       Increment v_counter
  2. Decision 2 'Checkit' will be conditional:
    IF v_counter is equal to 1
        Show NextButton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lilybiri thanks for the tip.  I'll give it a try! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didin't answer 'what do yiou want to happen when the correct buttons are clicked?'.

If you need a score, know that you can add a score to each of the buttons. You only have to turn on Reporting in their Properties panel and editt the score which is set by default to 1pt (for all scored objects).

For the Total score I recommend using a less-known panel: 'Advanced Interaction'. Have a look at this post:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-interaction-panel-q-and-a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't need a score for this particular slide.  It is enough that it just shows the next button when the two choices have been selected but thanks for the link.  I'll check out your blog.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Was not sure. But my intuition that you want to show the Next button after having clicked the two corect buttons was correct.

If you want to keep the Visited state for the buttons, even when the learner revisits the slide, you need to check the option 'Retain state....' in the Properties panel.

If you need more help... just ask.

All features of the Advanced Actions dialog box are described here, including terminology:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources