• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to hyperlink to a slide and then come back to original slide?

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a hyperlink on a word to another slide in the project but how do I get back to the slide with the hyperlink on it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Action/On Exit drop down and select the Return to Last Slide Visited command option. If you don't want the return to previos slide to always occur, you can also create a button and select it as the on success action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tammy....I'm using the Mac version and I'm not seeing the Action pallete?  Maybe I did this wrong as I'm new to Captivate.  I highlighted a word, right clicked and then chose Insert Hyperlink/Slide and then selected the slide number I wanted to link to.  Everything works except how do I get back to the original slide?

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a quick tut for "Return to Last SLide Visited". It goes a little fast so I could keep the size of the file down, but it has a playbar that you can use to pause as needed. Here is the link -

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/file.php/1/Captivate_Tutorials/Return_to_Last_Slide_Visited/mu...

The file is about 25 mb and will play best on a desktop or laptop with Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tammy is using a shape button to return to the last visited slide, and that may be a little bit too complicated for you as a real newbie. And beware: I'm the biggest fan of shape buttons in the Captivate community, have been blogging about them, giving presentations, webinars.... Hope Tammy is not insulted if I offer another workflow, more close to yours: you used the highlight dropdown list to jump to a specific slide, but the command to go to the last visited slide is not available in that dropdown list with commands.

You'll find similar dropdown lists in the Actions accordion of the Properties whenever there is an 'event' that can trigger a command, an action like 'Jump to slide'. In reality the work flow you found (which is recent), is a shortened version: the word you selected to act as a hyperlink, will be turned into a clickable (interactive) object that can trigger a command. You don't have to know that really, but if you want more commands in your files, you'll have to learn about the events that are available for all interactive objects: buttons, click boxes, shape buttons (which Tammy used), Text Entry Boxes and interactive widgets. This will be a bit overwhelming, but if you want to learn more about events, you can look at: http://blog.lilybiri.com/events-and-advanced-actions   which has a link to an overview table.

Do you want a similar solution as you created with the hyperlink? Try this:

• Insert a Click box over the word you want to use to get back to the last visited slide (in the vertical Toolbox left, Click box is just above the button tool with OK), you can resize it so that it fits nicely over the word
  • That click box will automatically pause at the end of its timeline (look in the timeline panel), but is invisible to the user in the published file, you can -  if you want - underline the word to make it look like a hyperlink
  • You can delete the captions or uncheck them in the Options accordion of the Properties panel of the Click box
  • Look for the Action accordion in the Properties panel (right dock) of the click box (has to be selected): if you leave Attempts to infinite there is only one dropdown list for 'On Success'
  • Open that list and choose 'Go to the slide last visited'

CBReturn.png

Beware not to get into a loop if you do the same on the first slide.

Tammy without any doubt proposed the shape button because you can use it on a master slide, or time it for the rest of the project. A click box cannot be used on a master slide, nor timed for the rest of the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you gain experience you will find there are a plethora of methods for navigation. The hyperlink method you are looking to use is terrific when you have a lot of text and want the user to be able to link to get more information form within that text. Using buttons is great when your slide is more visual, less text-oriented, plus you can do so much with buttons (there are two types, regular and SmartShape). I am teaching high school students in a three team project to build a student-designed marine biology course. In the last two weeks they have been working on the project custom buttons and having such a blast. You can have special sounds and graphics show up on hover (if the device has Flash) and click compared to what it looks like before you do anything. I don't think we had more happy chatter in any class so far as when they were showing their button designs last week. What plethora of sea creatures that hid when you hovered. You are going to have so much fun with each new 'toy' you discover you can play with in Captivate. I know in the forums, often it is going to be someone that has hit a snag and the feeling may be confusion or even frustration and so seldom are the smiles and laughs shared on the fun flip side of figuring it out how to do something. Captivate is totally addictive. You are going to love it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These methods that rely on using the Last Slide Visited action are fine as long as you are not visiting more than ONE slide before wanting to return to the slide with the hyperlinks.  But what if you have two or three slides with information and then need to go back to the original slide?

Then you may find this tutorial useful:

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-advanced-actions/jump-to-dynamically-captured-slide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, the question was clearly about one slide and return from that unique slide. It is a newbie user, I suspect he will be even more confused by your tutorial than by Tammy's video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly, but that's for them to find out. 

Plus...there may be other people that stumble across this thread and want a solution more like the one I propose. 

Just being thorough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RodWard this is exactly what I am looking for but the link you provided has expired.  Any recent updates to this?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread dates from 2014!   That is very old...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lilybiri, I realize that, which is why I asked if there is an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still have the same possible workflow.  You can use the command 'Go to the slide last visited' which is available in the dropdown list in the Actions tab of the Properties panel for any interactive object or slide event. The choice of event depends on what happens on that slide where you are jumping to.

Both 'Jump to Slide' and 'Return to last visited slide' can also be triggered with a hyperlink. Have a look at:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/use-hyperlinks-as-interactive-object

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lieve,

I think the problem here is that the user needs to view more than one slide before jumping back to the original slide.  The action that goes to Last Slide Visited only remembers one jump back. 

If the developer wants to profide a way for the learner return to a given slide they jumped away from, regardless of how many slides they visited after leaving it, then the interaction design needs to capture the slide number of the departure slide and store that number in a variable so that it can be referenced later in a conditional action that the learner can execute (perhaps by clicking a Return button) when they are ready to jump back to the departure slide again.

I revamped my website a year or so ago and the original page no longer exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rod, didn' read everything and the topic title is not telling this.

Have a blog somewhere explaining the workflow with a user variable and the Expression command. But since the comment is addressed to you... didn't want to get in the way. It is a bit more complicated perhaps than what is needed here:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/navigation-help-slides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @Lilybiri, I will give this a try.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, @RodWard, you are correct; this is what I am trying to accomplish.  I have three slides that can be visited when the user clicks a button placed on the master slide, therefore running throughout the entire project.  So the user can view one, two or all three slides and then return to the departure slide when clicking a button.  Just looking for the easiest way to accomplish this.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources