• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to set cmi.interactions data in captivate ?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a quiz for 360 learning and I would like to report data for each of my questions. In the doc of 360 learning it says that I have to use elements like for example cmi.interactions.n.description (where "n" is the number of the question").

Where can I set values for these elements in captivate ? I can't find any field in Captivate.

Do I have to create a js file and set them myself ?

Thank you for your help.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I'm not sure to understand your question correctly.

What do you mean by 360 learning? If you talk about a Virtual Reality project, with inserted Quiz slides, those quiz slides are set up by default to report the interaction. Exactly the same way as quiz slides in a normal cptx project. You can check the numbers of the interaction in the Quiz Properties panel, section Reporting. 

You mention a document, can you post the link to that document? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

360 learning is just a LMS platform like any other. Here is the link to the document : https://support.360learning.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001426606-Create-a-SCORM-course?source=search&a...

My project is created with captivate, exported to a scorm zip then uploaded to the lms. 

In the Quiz properties panel of my questions, I just have an id, few checkboxes (include in quiz, points, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same is valid for a normal course. As long as you indicate any scored object/slide to be reported, it will be present in the interaction data and has a unique interaction ID.

Check your course in SCORM Cloud, which is the standard. If your LMS is not functioning the same way, you need to ask the LMS people how to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.

My scorm is functionning well but I would like to report more informations than just the ID of my interactions, I would like to report for example a description for all my questions. 

Here is (in blue) an extract of the doc from the link I posted before :

Details of answers to questions

You can send the details of the answers to questions. The elements are the same for SCORM 1.2 and SCORM 2004.

ElementValue
cmi.interactions.n.id

Unique identifier of the interaction

cmi.interactions.n.description

Question title, where "n" is the number of the question.

If this element is not sent, the platform will display the value of the element cmi.interactions.n.id instead.

cmi.interactions.n.result

Result of the Learner ("correct" or "incorrect").

cmi.interactions.n.timestamp

Date of the Learner’s answer (format YYYY-MM-DD).

cmi.interactions.n.learner_response

Learner’s answer, in text format.

cmi.interactions.n.correct_response.0.pattern

Correct answer, in text format.

I feel that my question is not very clear, I'll try to do better : 

I would like, with my scorm, to send details of my answers, therefore I would like to set values to the element cmi.interactions.n.description in my scorm but where do I do that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you will find that cmi.interactions.n.description, or Question Title, is just referring to the text that appears at the top of each Quiz Question in Captivate to identify the type of question. (True/False, Multiple Choice, etc).

You can verify this by adding a quiz question slide, selecting the text caption that tells you what type of question it is, then looking at what that object is shown to be in the Properties tab.

QuizQuestionTitleObject.pngMany Captivate developers make the mistake of removing these text captions because they think they are optional or redundant.  But in fact they supply valuable information to the LMS via SCORM variables.

You should be able to do a quick test with a simple project containing a few different quiz question types uploaded to your LMS.  Get your LMS Admin person to extract a report from the LMS showng data from the description.  If it just tells you the question type, then you know how to configure your description.

Although the developer can edit the text in these captions, I think there is a limit to how many text characters you can include and maybe even what types of characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I have created a custom quiz, I don't have these object Question Title.

I don't see them in the UI, just in Captivate Quizz templates. I feel that there are lot of objects that can't be create with the UI.

Is there a way to manipulate these elements with javascript ? Does any setter functions exist ? Like something like this for example ?

window.cpAPIInterface.setVaraibleValue('cmi.interactions.1.description', 'this is the description of the first question');

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost anything is possible if you know how to program in JavaScript.  But Captivate's UI is not set up to cater to the needs to JavaScript programmers. It's marketed as being a tool that NON-programmers can use to create e-learning.

Your LMS should still be able to accept scoring from custom interactive objects such as buttons or TEBs because (as the documentation you quoted above indicates) if there is no description variable value then it just defaults to the Interaction ID.  Captivate allows you to customise the Interaction ID text for each item, but you cannot insert spaces.  So if you wanted to include some descriptive information in the ID it would need to be all part of a text string.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the functions to set SCORM data are in the scormdriver.js file.

You can set interaction data in this function:

SCORM2004_RecordInteraction(strID, strResponse, blnCorrect, strCorrectResponse, strDescription, intWeighting, intLatency, strLearningObjectiveID, dtmTime, SCORM2004InteractionType)

Some of the parameters are specific, like the InteractionType, you can reference them within the scormdriver.js or here:

https://scorm.com/scorm-explained/technical-scorm/run-time/run-time-reference/?utm_source=google&utm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestiing.  That documentation indicates that altering the text in the Question Title is not a good idea as SCORM is only expecting certain pre-determined strings as values.

SCORM_InteractionsType.png

cmi.interactions.n.description is only applicable for SCORM 2004, not earlier versions like SCORM 1.2.  The documentation Dave linked to in his answer indicates the description text "Provides a brief informative description of the interaction", which means a SCORM LMS should accept it.

But Captivate's UI doesn't really provide any way to set this variable.  So, using JavaScript would appear to be the only viable alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing me out the scormdriver.js file!

I have tried SCORM2004_RecordInteraction and also SCORM2004_CallSetValue functions but it doens't seem to change anything in my reporting. I'm pretty sure it's working and my scorm is sending the data, I'll check on the LMS side if I can get some logs or a report.

@RodWard I tested the quiz template Clean Blue on my LMS,  I don't see any of text captions in my reporting. I'll also try to get some logs to understand why.

What's very frustrating is that for a quiz with many questions, the only statistics that 360 Learning shows, is just the completion percentage score :

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your LMS is not showing much information other than completion status and score, that's not Captivate's fault.  Captivate sends quite a lot of SCORM data to the LMS.  It's up to the LMS how to display that data afterward.  You may need to speak to your LMS Administrator to find out if there are any other reports that the LMS offers to allow you to dig down into the data for more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources