• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In published quiz slide, custom continue button does not appear; submit button does not disappear.

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings, all. I have created an MCQ slide that is having issues once it's published. Would anyone be able to show me what I am missing?

Here is the Captivate file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C_XHzm8y0gr1CFYfX71qr3dLfl0Yq8GZ/view?usp=sharing

In PREVIEW mode, everything works exactly as planned on this quiz slide:
- I select my answer and click on Submit.
- Forced audio feedback plays all the way through.
- Continue button appears, and Submit button disappears.
- I click on Continue, which takes me to the next page.
- Perfect!

In PUBLISH mode, things go wrong:
- I select my answer and click on Submit. Check!
- Forced audio feedback plays all the way through. Check!
- Then: nothing. Continue button does not appear, and Submit button does not go away.

By the way, I set up forced audio feedback and custom Continue button using the principles in these outstanding posts:

Forced audio feedback

Submit process with custom continue button.

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Audio and video , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

I looked at your file.  One problem is in the Advanced Action that you execute both On Success and On Last Attempt for the quiz question.  It has a Delay Next Action by 28 seconds.  Reduce that delay down to 1 or 2 seconds and then you will see the Submit button Effect work.

Also your current design has your blue Continue button object overlayed with a text caption with the word Continue in it.  Unfortunately this makes it harder for the user to click the button because the text caption obscur

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at your file.  One problem is in the Advanced Action that you execute both On Success and On Last Attempt for the quiz question.  It has a Delay Next Action by 28 seconds.  Reduce that delay down to 1 or 2 seconds and then you will see the Submit button Effect work.

Also your current design has your blue Continue button object overlayed with a text caption with the word Continue in it.  Unfortunately this makes it harder for the user to click the button because the text caption obscures the button's hit area.  You would be better advised to use a Smart Shape button and use the image of the blue button as the fill.  You can then add the text for Continue as the button text and everything will function as a more efficient button object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't mention me but both posts are part of a long sequence of blogs about Quizzes which I wroye a couple of years ago Hence my popping in, sorry Rod.

If you use version !1.5 you can use the image directly as button, no need to use it as fill in a shape button. Both bitmap images and SVGs can be used on quiz slides. Those posts were written before the release of 11.5.

I didn't download the file, since Rod already analyzed it. Is the delay command timed for the duration of the audio clip perhaps? I see that you want the learner to listen to the full feedback clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lieve.  I would have suggested to use the Image Button option but in the case of the image being used by the developer of this project it didn't have any label text.  It was just a blue pill shape.  So if the developer wants to have the image look like a button with the label 'Continue' on it, they'd need to use the Shape Button option and use the image as Fill so that there was still the option to add text for the label.  Their current solution just makes the button harder to hit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that was just a detail. My bad. 

It is mostly for the Delay command that I added a comment, because it is a way to force listening to the audio in this case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.  If you had seen the actual project file you would have quickly seen that the Delay action in this case was redundant because the slide also had that other Continue button appear AFTER the Submit button is clicked and gets animated off screen.  So the user doesn't need a Delay action to give them time to read the text because the Continue button just pauses the timeline again until they have finished reading the feedback text and click it to go to the next slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure... problem when users are combining solutions from different posts with different goals.

Please, can you check your PM? Have news...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod and Lieve, thank you for your help with this, and please excuse my delayed reply . I thought I would receive email notification if someone responded, but apparently I didn't have my email settings defined correctly, and I didn't realize anyone had responded. In any case, as a result of your comments, I did mostly resolve these issues, enough to get the course set up in our LMS system without functional errors.

As Rod mentioned, the text caption overlaying the blue-bullet button shape was blocking users from clicking on it as a button. To correct this, I removed the text caption and added text to the blue button, which was already a Smart Shape, so that turned out to be an easy fix. Thank you!

Regarding the effect on the Submit button... Lieve is correct in assuming the 28-second delay was to force the user to listen to the audio feedback all the way through. I did not realize the "Delay Action" was redundant in this case, as Rod pointed out. I reduced the 28 seconds to 1, and the Submit button disappeared, but then the timing of the Continue button and accompanying text were affected, and when they appeared, they did not fully materialize on the slide. I was still able to click on the button and go to the next slide, so it worked functionally, but was a faded version of itself, a little hard to see.

In any case, I did not linger over the issues with the button effects, because the more significant problem was getting the Continue button to work, which I did after reading Rod's comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The faded button was probably due to the pause point on the button stopping the timeline before the Ease In effect had completed.  Essentially, it stopped the effect in mid stream while the object's opacity was not yet at 100%.  You should be able to fix that issue by fiddling with the timing a little.  If the Effect is set to take 1 second, make sure it has at least that much time to complete before the timeline gets paused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that makes sense. I'll work on the timing as you suggest. Thank you again, Rod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, that makes sense. I'll work on the timing as you suggest. Thank you again, Rod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources