• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing Captivate 2019 on External SSD?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

From olders posts (5 to 8 years ago), I've read that it was not possible at the time to install Captivate onto an external hard drive.

Does anyone know if this is possible now? The idea is that I install it on my portable SSD (that's 2TB) and run it from there instead of my laptop. My local drive is 237GB but only has 98GB free (It's my work laptop). I'm hoping that this would allow the program to run faster.

TOPICS
Installation and licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not heard of anyone being able to do this.  As far as I know you can only install Captivate into the Program Files directory on your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the specs on your laptop?  If you want Captivate to run faster, the best way to achieve that is usually to get a better PC.  In companies where I work under contract to build courses with Captivate I always specify that they need a high powered laptop or desktop and supply them with the same specs as I have for my own development laptop.  The specs provided on the Adobe website are minimum specs to have Captivate run, not ideal specs for best performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Unfortunately, it's not as easy which is why I was given a portable SSD at the moment. I may receive a new one possibly next year. The specs of the computer is just average. 8GB of ram, i5 core processor. It's a Leneovo. The compter is not bad, A lot better now that I have the SSD installed, just wish I can run Captivate a lot faster.

For example, pressing F11 to view my projects (some can be slightly large) runs way too slowly.

Thank you for you answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your current PC hard drive an SSD or only the external drive?

8 Gig of RAM is adequate, though I find 16 is a lot better because Wndows alone usually takes about 4 gig.

I have i7 chips in my own laptops and they certainly seem to be adequate.  But changing a chip is not usually practical as an upgrade on a laptop.

If you only have a spinning disk drive as your main hard drive, see if you can get your business to at least upgrade your hard drive to a 500 gig fast SSD.  That will make more difference than you can believe.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The specs you have is what I have noted for when I can get a newer laptop.

As for my current, it's a PC hard drive. I was given an external which seems to have helped after moving my files to the SSD.

As for the upgrade, I actually did ask about it since I had it done to my personal laptop years ago. However, I am remote in Florida and my HQ office is in Masschusetts. Meaning I would need to send in my laptop for them to try to install the upgrade. Essentially leaving me without a laptop to work on and I am not allow to use a personal due to security reasons, which I totally understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources