Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Image as Button because of HTML5/SWF

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings All.

If I try to place an image and "Use as Buton" and try to preview or publish I get this:

html5publish error.jpg

The publishing settings look like this  Publish as: HTM5/SWF and then an apparent option at the bottom to select one or the other or both.

html55Current.jpg

What's really weird is another project I did about a month ago has these settings: Publish to HTML5 only. No mention of SWF. What gives?

html5publish error DEMO.jpg

Thanks and gratitude to anybody who can help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the WAM Demo project a responsive project?  Your publish settings would seem to indicate it and that would explain why it wasn't mentioning SWF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rod - and yes, that makes sense. I had forgotten but the Demo site was responsive.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod is correct, the Wam... project was a responsive project which explains the different Publish dialog box.

Images (bitmap and SVG) are not supported for SWF output. In a non-responsive project (your first screenshot) the only Preview method wich is not using a temporary SWF output is F11, Preview HTML in Browser. That could explain that warning popping up when you try another Preview method. But for publishing I don't understand why that warning would appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I understand thet publishing options issue. The ultimate issue is this.

I can't add an image as a button to either of the two projects. When I try to do the same thing to DEMO (responsive) as to WAM (non-responsive) I get an "Object Construction Failed".

Once I add the image I can't seem to preview or publish either project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few new details. Given the info  gleaned here, I started a new Responsive project and was able to place the image, use it as a button and assign an action to it. No problem.

So I went back the Linkedin Learning tutorial I reference from time to time and realized that when they saved a non-responsive version of the same project they removed all such items; buttons and/or any kind of interaction. Bascially it was a PowerPoint deck at that point. Does that sound right?

Nonresponsive = no interactivity

Responsive = interactive

For kicks I also saved a copy of the current project as a Responsvie Project. On the surface it looks like nothing changed and I was able to add the image/button/action. However, when previewing the project the font sizes change and there are icons that appear and I have no idea why.

Responsive Example.jpg

Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is  just b....   Sorry for the expression.  When people compare Captivate output with PPT I get angry.

Non-responsive or responsive project: both can have as much interactivity as you want.  If you learned something else from LinkedIn it is time to complain about that course. On MP4 output can never have interactivity, but non on normal output.

The buttons you see are the expansion buttons: when the text is not fitting in the available space.

Reduce the minimum font size to 10pt of 8pt and you'll get rid already of some of those icons.

The font size is managed by Captivate. If you want all of the lines to be always at the same font size, whatever the browser resolution, you need to turn on 'Enable Uniform Text Scaling'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense intended certainly and the intent was not to compare them the two apps. Just a simple statement. In the Responsive version there were buttons and sound affects and moving logos (not that I'm a fan) but when in non-responsive form there just wasn't any of  that. 

I guess in trying to work this out the first question is "Can you use images as buttons in a Non-responsive project" and the answer seems to be no. 

Lilybiri - when you say both kinds of projects can have "as much interactivity as you want" can you share with me what interactivity means in this case? I'm wondering if we have the same expecation from that word.

As always, thank you for all the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you use version 11.5 you can use bitmap images and SVG images as buttons in both non-responsive and responsive projects. You can use interactions like click/reveal, forced view, click/replace, drag&drop, games, click/replace in both responsive and non-responsive projects If there is a limitation whatsoever it will be in Fluid Boxes responsive projects because you cannot stack objects in normal Fluid Boxes, and you cannot  use slide video in a normal fluid box. Moreover those limitations do not exist in responsive projects where you use Breakpoint views workflow. But you probably never did see such a project.

If you look at the projects in the Assets, there are differences indeed between the responsive and the non-responsive versions. Most of the differences are not due to the fact that some features do not work in both, but mostly to the development in different teams. For the same reason some of those projects have a well-structured Theme and others not at all. I cannot judge the LinkedIn courses, because I never watch them, found them very disappointing in the past. They may have improved, but I don't know.

Most of the conclusions you seem to express are just wrong, and I don't know their origin. Everything is possible in non-responsive projects. Responsive projects have more limits, not the reverse as you seem to suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources