Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LMS Reporting Complete when communication is lost

Sep 29, 2009 Sep 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LMS we're using, eLogic, reports a SCORM course as Complete if the communication is lost. This was happening on a regular basis as associates began to use online training for the first time. So we requested that it leave the course as Incomplete so the user could re-open more easily. We've been told that this does not conform to SCORM standards that say if communication is lost that the course be marked as Complete. That makes no logical sense to me. Can anyone explain? Or help me to understand?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 01, 2009 Oct 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never heard of that being a part of SCORM, but then again I don't know the entire SCORM documentation by heart.

However, it seems totally illogical to have this behaviour. If connection is lost it should not set the course status as completed per default. To me it sounds like your vendor is setting the course as complete when the course is started. What happens if you open a course and then exit it on the 2nd page? Will it be incomplete or completed?

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know. It's completely illogical and I'm beginning to think I'm getting the run around. However, if I open a course and then exit, it doesn't mark it as complete, so that isn't exactly it.

Barb Sonnemann

Senior Trainer

Sage Business Solutions

1715 N Brown Rd

Lawrenceville, GA 30043

Office: 770.492.6337

Fax: 770.717.6599

barb.sonnemann@sage.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked the behaviour in our corporate LMS. If I "kill" the communication between the LMS and the course then it remains "Incomplete" in the course status. It is not set as "Completed".

Try and ask your LMS vendor for clarification as to where in the SCORM documentation they found their explanation.

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do. Thanks.

Barb Sonnemann

Senior Trainer

Sage Business Solutions

1715 N Brown Rd

Lawrenceville, GA 30043

barb.sonnemann@sage.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this really has more to do with how your lesson is sending the status. It's the lesson that, ultimately, should decide if the lesson is complete or not. However, that status is not 'definite' until the LMS.commit function is called. Once that's called, then any data that's been sent back to the LMS is official.

So ideally, your CP lesson should not send a Completed status until the user has finished whatever tasks are required to gain that status (all pages viewed, certain interactions finished, etc)...then when the user exits the lesson, CP sends the Commit and Finish calls and the LMS finalizes that lesson.

It sounds like this LMS is doing some sort of default action where, perhaps, if communication is lost with the lesson or a timeout is reached, it automatically commits the status (which CP should have sent). So first:

1. Is your CP lesson sending the status properly? Is it sending Completed as soon as it opens? That's a common issue... If so, the LMS could be receiving the status correctly, but acting on it incorrectly by commiting that status when it should not be.

2. Is the LMS taking a default action, like setting a status to Completed, when the API communication is lost? Which, I agree, sounds like a bad assumption to make and is doubtfully a SCORM requirement.

HTH

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the input. It's the second issue that seems to be occurring. the LMS is setting the status to completed when the communication is lost. And they're saying that is based on SCORM rules.

Barb Sonnemann

Senior Trainer

Sage Business Solutions

1715 N Brown Rd

Lawrenceville, GA 30043

barb.sonnemann@sage.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources