• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost a project in new captivate (12) due to faulty error/bug

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just lost hours of work creating a project in the new captivate, for no apparent reason.

I had been saving the project on a regular basis, and then closed the program. (A preview was left in a browser window, not that it should matter.)  Later, upon starting the program with the new project it generated an error message (first attached image): "An unexpected error has occurred, which may cause Captivate to behave unexpectedly. You can restart Captivate with backed-up project."

It also gave this message: "Adobe has found a solution or workaround for the recent error in Adobe Captivate. Please click the below link for more details."  (However, the link provided does nothing)

So I tried to open the back-up copy of the project, after renaming it so that it would be a .CPT file, but the exact same error messages came up.

Can anyone help me? Otherwise, the whole project is completely lost.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very sorry for this. Can you find a file with the extension .dmp in the Captivate folder? I am not sure if the Cache folder could help for the new Captivate version. In the past it was possible to recreate a backup file from its cache content but I didn't try this out yet for the new version.

Just to make sure: do you keep the projects in a folder on your system? You don't have your documents stored on an external server? Do you use OneDrive if you are on Windows? It caused problems for some users, I don't have those problems myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Lilybiri -- I will look into this, and come back.  Yes, I was saving on OneDrive.  I've never had a problem in the past saving projects on OneDrive, but I guess from now on I won't do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, personally I never had any issues neither which means I am not sure that this is the origin of that lost project. But I know several users reported problems with OneDrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, please upload project on shared drive and mail it to captivatehelp@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, VideoPep -- which shared drive do you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can upload project to One drove or google drive, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received the same message when opening a new project for the first time in the new captivate. Any solutions? I am on a Mac Monterey version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have both the new version and Classic Captivate installed? If yes, is the Classic Captivate version 11.8.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I updated to CpC 11.8.2 last week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but did you update before installing the new version? 

What do you see exactly under the eLearning assets folder? It is a bit chaotic, and apparently there are differences between Windows and Mac for the structure of that folder.

Can you try to clear the Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and completely lost a project.  Now I can't even open All New Captivate.  I get the same error as your screenshot when opening the program.  I opened a ticket with Adobe.  No answer from them, except they said this was a bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to clean the Preferences already? So many issues, also with Captivate Classic (11.8.2). I am so happy to have preserved a system with the very stable 11.5.5.553 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same thing happen to me. My current workaround is that I save the project often and I save it twice. Once in a OneDrive and a second time in my laptop files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I also had same problem and none of the solutions worked eg the .bak file or the file in the library, so i also save duplicate versions over and over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by 'file in the library'? Are you talking about the cache folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes . i found a set of instructions online, for locating a folder that sometimes has a backup but the file I needed was definitely not there.

I think chamilo does responsive. I'll create one in classic and try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not easy to find the proper file in the cache due to its cryptic labeling.

Good idea to test the LMS with a Fluid Boxes project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know not easy but i definitely was doing it correctly.  the file just hadn't happen to save. maybe because it crashed and got corrupted. It was definitely not there, or if it was it didn't have content. I can't remember now, as it was weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent 5 hours working on a project. There was a similar error and it told me it had to close but I could use the back up file. I assumed the program was regularly backed up like all Adobe programs are. The only backup file there was is a .bak file and when I removed .bak it loaded the old file I had opened at the beginning of the day. I opened the file that crashed - same thing. I looked everywhere and there are files dated from the time of the crash but nothing is working. Is there any information on how to load a backup file or when it crashes is it just time to start over? I see several posted about saving multiple copies and saving regularly. I remember doing that for old programs, but thought this was the latest and greatest. This is very disheartening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since this is not a correct answer, as moderator I had to remove that indicator.

There is indeed another backup filei n the cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources