• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Storyboard Template

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to provide SME's with a storyboard template that will be used for developing in Captivate.  Does anyone have a good one for use.  By "good" I mean one that will make my life easier as a new user of Captivate.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a variation on the one showcased in this video. It works well for me. It's important for you to write the storyboard. Don't leave it up to your SME to design or it will be very poor eLearning. They should only be looking at the accuracy of content, and if you did a proper eLearning design proposal you would already have an agreed-upon set of objectives and topics.

https://elearning.net/free-elearning-storyboard-template/

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is actually a rather controversial topic. It seems everyone has their own idea about what a 'storyboard' is and how it should look.  That's fine....but...the client is the person whose viewpoint matters most in this case.

The problem I find with using heavily text-oriented storyboard documents with clients and SMEs is that they usually have no imagination.   The cannot 'see' in their 'mind's eye' what the document is describing to them.

You can spend endless time accurately describing the content in text form on a detailed storyboard document with several columns that explain what the voiceover will be saying and what objects will appear on screen and how they will be animated, etc, etc.  But in my experience they just don't 'get it' until you show them the same content in a more visual graphical form.

Storyboards really came into mainstream use with the cartoon and animated film industry.  Most people now have seen some documentary that showed the kind of hand drawn storyboard documents that were used to work out the story of an animated cartoon. That's the kind of document many clients are expecting to get when they ask for a 'storyboard' and if you hand them something that looks like a sea of text they will not be impressed.

E-learning is (or at least SHOULD be) an intensely visual experience for the learner. And it's no surprise that Captivate already provides you with the capability of giving the client an MS Word handout document that very closely resembles what many clients would regard as a true 'storyboard'.  All you have to do is assemble elements on very roughly on each slide and write the voiceover text into the Slide Notes area.  Use as many graphics, draws images or photographs as you can to describe (more or less) what the final result will look like,  The more visual the better.  Then use the File > Print options in Captivate to export an MS Word Handout that will have a screenshot of the slide with the voiceover underneath it.

After having tried other more highly documented 'storyboarding' methods to get the clients on the same page with me about what the content would look like, I have found this to be the overall best method. 

In fact, taking another leaf out of the cartoon industry, I even sometimes use a drawing tablet or my iPad and Apple pencil to create hand drawn images that I place on the Captivate slides.  Then I fade these images in and out on the timeline to create what is called an 'animatic'.  This is a very rough animated prototype of the learning module.  I record my own voice in Captivate to give them audio as well as moving images.  I can create these animatics very quickly as soon as the FIRST DRAFT voiceover script is approved. I find clients react very well to these rough animatics and progress on the course speeds up markedly.

So, use whatever method you find your client wants, but before you create a mammoth detailed text-based 'storyboard' check first whether that style is actually what your client is expecting.  Otherwise you may find that you waste a lot of time on something that will not actually deliver the intended value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources