• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Captivate won't save to internal hard drive

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little backstory here...I was using Captivate with no issues (so I thought) on my Mac. I discovered issues when I published my content and uploaded it to Adobe Learning Manager. After working with the support team, they realized that I had upgraded my Mac OS to Sonoma. I should have checked the Captivate system requirements before upgrading the OS, but I didn't. The Adobe Support Team informed me that I would need to downgrade my OS back to Ventura since Captivate was not yet supported on Sonoma and that would explain the issues with my published content. My other option was to switch to a Windows based PC.

I chose option 2 and transferred all of my .cpt files to a Windows computer. I worked on the windows PC for about a month and decided that I would rather downgrade my Mac (I just prefer Macs--I know they aren't for everyone!)

I got my Mac successfully downgraded back to Ventura and started the process of moving my .cpt files back to my Mac. Here is where it gets interesting...I am able to open my files just fine, but when I go to save the files to my internal harddrive, I just get the spinning circle and nothing ever saves. The weirdest part, though, is that I can publish the file with no issue on my internal harddrive. I even tested the published file on SCORM Cloud and it works perfectly! But I cannot "save" or "save as" that same file.

What is going on here? I really want to avoid switching back to the Windows PC if at all possible!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like the majority of Captivate users, I am on Windows.  Can you please mention the exact version number used? 

Normally the Mac and Win versions are compatible, even this week during a training I did use a project created by a Mac user. The first thing which pops up in my mind: was the project linked to OneDrive on the Win system? I don't know if Macs have a similar possibility but the origin of your problems maybe on the Windows link. Could you try a copy from the Win system which is NOT synched with OneDrive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My projects weren't linked to OneDrive. They were saved on an extended hard drive. I'm using the latest version of Captivate since I downloaded it yesterday 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by an 'extended hard drive'? Is that an exernal hard drive? Captivate doesn't like to edit projects on such a drive. So, you are using the All New version 12.2? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm using 12.2. I used the external just to transfer from the windows to the Mac. I moved the files to my internal hard drive on my Mac before I opened them in Captivate. This was the same process that I used when I transferred the .cpt files from my Mac to the Windows computer and it worked fine with no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you are saying: "But I cannot "save" or "save as" that same file." So one of your .cpt files you've moved back to your Mac from the Windows computer.

But what about when you create a new, fresh .cpt project with some quick contents on your Mac and try to save that file? Does that fail the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try to create a brand new .cpt file on the Mac and got the same results, spinning circle and no saved file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a pity. Sorry to hear that. Maybe it helps, if you take the usual steps when one is in such a pinch with Cp. Like i.e. clear your preferences by running the dedicated tool under Applications/Adobe Captivate/utils/CleanPreferencesMac/CleanPreferencesMac. I'm not entirely sure how to do that, just double click I presume but maybe you need to execute it via the Terminal because it's an Unix executable file. IMPORTANT: execute this when Captivate is closed. Better to consult the appropriate Adobe Captivate Help sections.

The reason why I don't know precisely is that opposite to some people's prejudices on Captivate and MacOS I had never particular problems with both the Classic Cp and the All-New and never needed these emergency means. Since 5 years now. Fingers crossed!

However maybe if the first suggestion doesn't help I would try to deinstall and the re-install Cp. It should eventually work!

BTW, which precise version of Cp 12 do you use? (see under Adobe Captivate/About Adobe Captivate ...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it's 12.2--whatever the latest version is. I am traveling for work right now and won't be back in my office until Monday. When I get back, I'm going to open a ticket with Adobe Support to see if they can figure out what is going on! Thanks for your suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That means that you probably have a conflict on your system, that it is not linked to the fact that the project was created in Windows. I had a lot of problems as well with that version, because it is installed on a Surface Pro. Captivate has problems with the availability of the two cameras on that system. Difficult to guess that this could cause problems when you are not using any of the two cameras. You will probably need the assistance of a staff member from Adobe. The normal troubleshooting workflows (same as in older versions)  will not help, I fear:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/tips-for-troubleshooting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from my previous reply I consider it as astonishing that the Adobe Captivate team is still not ready to support MacOS Sonoma. Sonoma is now released since September 2023. How long will Adobe take to get it done? I would welcome if @Saurav_Ghosh , who sometimes turns up here, would comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kdmemory We don't even know yet about which version the OP is talking? They now have to maintain both the All New and the Classic version to cope with every new update of the Mac OS, something which is very rarely necessary for Win updates.

As a Windows user I am also very amazed why each new version on a Mac is causing problems with a lot of Adobe applications, not only for Captivate? AFAIK that happened only once with a Windows update in 2 decades. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kdmemory 

Support for Sonoma is in the pipeline. It'll be there soon.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Saurav_Ghosh   Could you define soon? I need to either upgrade my Windows PC because the computer I have isn't fast enough to support the video editing that I do or I need a fix for my Mac issues. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources