• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newbie - Apologies if these are stupid questions

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2010 Jan 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within our organisation we wish to create a training packages for numerous clients. To do this I am looking at using the Elearning suite, creating the training videos in captivate and then allowing clients to use them.

My questions are :-

Is it possible to use the ELearning suite as a substitute for a LMS, or is it better to have an LMS being fed from Elearing

Can I store the files for individual clients seperately  e.g. so that no client can see anothers training or is this handled at LMS.

How do I "push" these files to them to enable them to do the training or is this handled at LMS (for info each clent has their own web page and SQL database) and then pull the training record back.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Have you ever heard of a Shop Smith?

Click here for more on Shop Smith

Basically a Shop Smith is sort of a "Swiss Army Knife" when it comes to woodworking tools. It offers many functions. You can use a Shop Smith to create some nice cabinets. Think of your Captivate output as being similar to the Cabinets you might create using the Shop Smith.

Now in order to use the cabinets (or make them available for others to use) you have to install them. Typically in either a kitchen or a bathroom. So in this case, the kitchen or the bathroom are similar to a LMS.

By virtue of purchasing the Shop Smith, you aren't also getting a house or a building that the creations may be installed in.

Hopefully the analogy makes sense. In short, when you purchased the eLearning suite, you obtained access to a collection of tools used to create eLearning content. But the suite does not include anything such as a LMS where the eLearning content will be stored.

I'll leave the other question about separation of LMS content for someone more savvy with LMS to answer fully. But I do believe it's quite possible to achieve. My understanding of the way LMS operates is that each user is assigned a unique User ID and Password and as such are not able to see what each has access to.

Hopefully this was helpful... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just for the LMS-part, Rick explained about the difference between LSM and eLS (BTW: very good Swiss knife with a lot of tools)/

The LMS will do the 'database' work: users have an identity, the LMS will show them only the content linked to their identity, LMS can report if the user has seen the content, when he has accomplished an assessment, how many attempts he made, what his score was, if he passed or failed etc. Perhaps an example from my college: each student had his ID, when logging in on the LMS he will see only the courses he is enrolled in, see messages about those courses, he can see content uploaded to those courses, take assessments published in the courses and get immediate feedback, take part in discussion forums or in group work, make a blog or work on a wiki together with peers, make surveys. As content creator you can even lay out individual learning trajects: show some content only when the student has passed for some preliminary modules.

Use eLS to create interesting content with as much interactivity in it as possible. All LMS's do conform to a standard, called SCORM. This makes it easier for content creating packages like eLS to publish SCORM-compliant output.

Hope this helps?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well answered previously by my colleagues, so will keep this short and pointed to your questions

Is it possible to use the ELearning suite as a substitute for a LMS, or is it better to have an LMS being fed from Elearing

No, the eLearning Suite is a collection of development tools, no LMS is included. Create your content with the eLearning Suite tools and upload to whatever LMS you choose.

Can I store the files for individual clients seperately  e.g. so that no client can see anothers training or is this handled at LMS.

Most likely, yes, and this is handled on the LMS side.

How do I "push" these files to them to enable them to do the training or is this handled at LMS (for info each clent has their own web page and SQL database) and then pull the training record back.

Most LMS products allow either the user to 'self-register' in a given lesson/course or allow the admin to assign a lesson/course to a user - either are done through the LMS. When a user takes a lesson, the LMS records whatever the lesson is setup to track. You can then retrieve reports on the user's results. All done through the LMS.

HTH

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources