• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Objects start at time 0 if state changed on enter. Should start later - Please help!

Contributor ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that requires closed captioning in 26 different languages. So I created several shape and gave it 26 states. Shape 1 should start at time 0, state 2 at tim 3 seconds and shape 3 at time 6 seconds. On enter to the slide, I have an advanced action that changes the state to say German. 

When the slide runs, ALL objets show up at time zero. What the heck? I created a brand new project just to test this. I've attached it below. Slide 1 is blank. Slide 2 has the 3 shapes. 

Please help. I'm super confused why this is happening and have no idea how to fix it. It happens with shapes and captions. 

Link to project (this editor wouldn't let me attach): 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NSqHumgy6WLY7sYJfsNi6mlGsPItLmpJ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

Lori

LMS_90_0-1664159926062.png

LMS_90_1-1664159949421.png

LMS_90_2-1664159994939.png

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You nailed a serious bug, which I never encountered myself so far. I am using version 11.5.5.553. Please log that bug.

I didn't download your file but created a similar project myself and could reproduce the situation. 

Here is a possible workaround On Enter action, but will not be always save the situation. If you have interactive objects pausing the slide somewhere in between the appearance of the shapes, this will not work:

EnteractBis.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about this, but it won't really work too well for the complexity of the problem. But I appreciate your thoughts.

I did already officially log the bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mentioned that it will only work on simple slides, not on those with a lot of interactivity.

Another possibility is to replace the text in the containers by variables. Use the On Enter action to assign values to those variables. You can do this with a shared action or with JavaScript to avoid tons of duplicate advanced actions. I have described this possibility in some other use cases, but it could work for your workflow as well. Here are some links:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/automatic-hint-after-x-failed-clicks

https://blog.lilybiri.com/custom-review-text-for-random-questions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask: Why do you need captioning in 26 different languages?

Is it because you have voiceover audio in only one language but want the user to be able to see a translation of that audio in whatever other language they choose from that list?

Why do these captions need to be staggered on the timeline of each slide?  If you only need to show one of the 26 languages in the caption text, why not just create one CC caption object with 26 states on each slide and use Conditional Actions to show only the specific object state of that object?

Perhaps I am not understanding your use case correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, VO in just a few languages, but they want captions/subtitles in the 26. Client requirement, not mine of course. 

Not all the caption will fit in one caption object. Thus the need for multiple. They are also requiring that all on screen text bee available in several of the languages as well. I'm using states of course. But this requirement is real. I've tried to noodle through a million ways around it and combined text where I could, but it's not always possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is baffling and I get the same results as you do.
I have tried changing the states of objects with both javascript and RodWards CpExtra, but I still get the same results: The objects all appear from start, and disappear when they should. When i don't change the states, they behave like they're supposed to.

I guess you can drop states, and just have separate boxes for each language named English_1_1_, English_1_2_, German_1_1_, German_1_2_, etc. (Language_slideNo_boxNo).
When you/the user sets the preferred language, you hide all boxes except the one with the language they choose (I guess I would hide all boxes, then show the one they choose). If you have CpExtra, this would be fairly easy using #syntax, as it would immediately hide all boxes in the entire project named e.g. Englis_*whatever*.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I think this is a very annoying bug. Can you log it as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious LMS_90 ... how did you end up solving your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looonnnggg story.  But client was unhappy with delay on his system. I never saw delay on my system.... So he insisted I create 26 copies of each slide and just not even use states. It was completely the WRONG way to do it and I told him that repeatedly, but that's what the client insisted on. So that's what I did. Never did solve the original problem of this post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources