Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Permission Error: Can't Open File

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

I'm unable to open any of my previously created Captivate 4 files and get this message: "Adobe Captivate could not open ".cp" because of permission error." Nothing about my software or the files have changed in the 36 hours since I last opened and saved these files.

Can someone help me troublehsoot?

Thanks,

Melissa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps restart the PC?

Where are your projects stored? Local PC or on a Network resource?

If on a Network resource, try copying to the Local PC and try again.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

No network, just my own laptop. Have tried restarting . it doesn't help

Thanks

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2010 May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  My work PC has XP on it, I saved it to an external hard drive, then connected my hard drive to my Vista PC and tried to open the file.  Got the same error.  Tried other files from my XP maching and they didn't work either.  Tried files already on my vista maching and had no problems.  Any suggestions besides re-booting my PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got this error as well.

If I look at the file size in the directory, everything looks fine. Try to launch it, and it gives the "Loading project" timer at the bottom.

Except it doesn't open the .cp file.

Other ,cp files that I had worked with just before and after were saved properly.

Any gurus out there to help?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me this morning!

Files are stored on my C: drive, My Documents, My Adobe Captivate Projects.  Worked on a project outside my company network last night and now I get the same permission error message Melissa reported last September.

I have rebooted but still can't access.  Did you ever determine what's causing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2010 Aug 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Never did get that file to open! And it exists! I can see it as a file, with a file size and everything.

The project was small enough that I weighed the options (sit on Hold for 2 hours, redo it), and redid it!

I had just published an .exe, so I used that as my "script". And since I already had the screenshots, I just worked frame by frame to recreate it. Pain in the neck, but got the project done.

Once I get a break (ha ha), I want to explore with Adobe why this happened or how to fix it.

It's weird that this issue has not been addressed on the forum.

That Captiv8 person usually jumps in with answers.

Good luck!

lynda

Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:16:12 -0600

To: lyndylaroo@hotmail.com

Subject: Permission Error: Can't Open File

Same problem for me this morning!

Files are stored on my C: drive, My Documents, My Adobe Captivate Projects. Worked on a project outside my company network last night and now I get the same permission error message Melissa reported last September.

I have rebooted but still can't access. Did you ever determine what's causing this?

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!  You went through the same thought process I did!  It's small, 2 hours

on the phone with tech support, I'm on deadline...guess I'll re-create it!

I haven't gotten any response from Adobe from this thread or a new one I

started about the problem.  Tells me they don't have a good answer and

would prefer to avoid dealing it!

Thanks for your update, I appreciate it!

Jo L. Chamberlin, PHR, AIS                                        

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  First of all I couldn't get the file to preview the project or from this slide or to publish.

I have rebooted, still didn't work.  Then I created a new file and imported the slides but had the same problem, and now I have this Permission Error Can't Open file error.  I have searched the Forums and can't find a resolution.  It's good that you only had a small file and could re-do it in a couple of hours.  I have spent a couple of days on mine, in which I had to set up live examples.  So it's no easy task to re-create it.  Although it wouldn't be the first time I have had to do that.

Does anyone have an answer to this problem, apart from redoing it?  I am really not a happy camper right now.  Does everyone find Captivate as problematic as I have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 28, 2010 Aug 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Which version of Captivate are you using?

Thanks,

Vish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2010 Aug 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding.

I was using Captivate 4, on Windows XP.  I have tried everything I could think of and trawled through the forums without a resolution.  Apart from what I tried in Captivate, I have scanned for virus's, made sure I had enough memory and disk space, and rebooted countless times. The next step would be to rebuild the computer.

I have now moved forward, bought a new macbook pro (I was due for an upgrade) Installed a Windows 7 bootcamp, upgraded to Captivate 5, and am still working my way through that.

Any advice on that would be most welcome.  Wish me luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a creepy feeling that this is another one of those Windows Vista / XP / Windows 7 permission issues that have come up frequently in MS Word forums:

You can have a problem when you create a file on one machine and then make it available (remote access, use of shared folder ... ) to another device. An example would be creating a file under username XYZ and then accessing it as the same username XYZ on a different device (for example, a portable hard drive). Windows creates permissions using a SID (system identity) that is globally unique to the device on which your user account is stored. Thus an apparently identical username on two different machines (machine at work, machine at home) would possess two different SIDs (assuming the accounts were created separately on both devices.

Try:

1. Granting FULL CONTROL to EVERYONE on the file from the account you created the file from then accessing it from a different device.
  2. Visiting MS support and searching for 'permission errors when opening or saving files' - you'll be surprised how many variations on this theme occur.

Regards,

Henry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Henry,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I was using the same computer and I was the only user.

See my answer a few minutes ago to vishhere.

Rudi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2010 Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have there been any developments on this issue? I am running into it now, and it's quite distressing to think I might have to recreate the entire .cp file. Captiv8r/Rick, do you know anything about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, after restarting, I can open the .cp file I couldn't open before. *biggest sigh of relief in history*

Still, that doesn't solve the issue for other folks. Hey, Adobe, if you haven't gotten any reports of this bug, I'm sending one your way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Group.  I have a problem with v4 of CP.  When I try to open a cp file with explorer - it opens the cp window and just hangs forever.

However if I launch the CP program directly, then under the "Open" menu, I can open the file just fine.  What the heck is this all about?

I use to be able to open any  v3 cp file using windows explorer.  Any ideas out there?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jpero this happened to me today, too. I don't think Adobe is going to do anything for Cp4 anymore, and is likely focusing all its efforts on maintaining Cp5 (and probably scoping requirements for Cp6 at the same time). I'm afraid we just need to admit defeat and open these Cp4 files by opening the app and going from there. I can understand your frustration; few things are more annoying than an upset to your own tried-and-true business rules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered both the error message that wouldn't let me open the file (got around this by double-clicking from File Manager rather than opening from inside Captivate and I could not publish or preview the file.  I ended up opening second instance of Captivate and manually copying/pasting the slides from the original file into a brand new one.  The new one now works fine.  I have no idea what caused this but hopefully these suggestions will help others.  I agree with earlier post, think Adobe has forgotten us now that new version is out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and had invested alot of time on the project. I was able to work around the issue by opening a new project, and importing the slides/objects from the file that wouldn't open. I saved it again with a different name and it is now working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. Bought a new PC, installed Captivate and copied all the cptx files I have been working on. Trying to open them, I get the message: Could not open. Check if you have the required permissions to open the file or if the file is already open."

I have Windows 11 as this was preinstalled on the new PC.

Any help appreciated, I spent hours on this and the Adobe site, but that wasn't of any help.

Thanks

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just installed Captivate 2019 on this new PC then did you also make sure to install all the updates to bring it up to the very latest version?  If not, the reason you may not be able to open the files could be that you have the earlier version of Captivate 2019 now and your files were last edited with a later version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Present version of Captivate has not been tested with Win11, may not be compatible. Even the most recent which is 11.5.5.553.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources