Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Popup blocker message

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Since moving to Captivate 2017 we have started getting this message come up when a learner selects a link to a pdf (that is either on our website or in our online knowledge repository. I have checked using IE11 and Chrome - made sure the pop up blocker is off - but still get this warning. I'm certain the popup blocker is off because our LMS uses popups and I wouldn't be able to see the module at all if they were still on

The pdf tab opens ok but this message is making our learners a little unsettled. Anyone else experience this? Anyone know if there is a setting in Captivate that needs to be ticked/unticked?

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not try to carefully parse the code that Jeremy posted above:

Re: Popup blocker message

It looks like perhaps that code is looking for a parent window and, if there is one, then to show the message?

Or maybe it's checking to see if the link is going to replace the current window content (i.e. if you set your link to target="new" or "_blank", do you still get the popup?)

I dunno... but point is, I think Jeremy is correct overall - if this popup message is so dire (and I agree it's annoying), then find the code Jeremy notes and change it - either per his message above or set your own JS programmer to the task.

As to why it's happening, if this wasn't added via patch, I'd suspect the code to check for the browser is somehow re-activated (perhaps as Rod is saying). Back in the day, code like this would check for versions of IE ("...if IE = 9, then do this")...but if the code didn't allow for all/future versions (i.e. no 'else = nothing' catchall) then it could be improperly run if the latest IE version didn't match the condition.

Anyway, certainly seems buggy...but also seems a fairly simple fix by either modifying the URL itself or editing the JS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I and I just want to throw in a caution that you shouldn't edit / remove the alert warning if there is a real security threat to the learner's computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am using the line

window.open("https://google.com")

with a JavaScript action in Captivate but this also opens a blank window in Chrome.

What should I add to close the additional blank window that opens?

Thanks in advance

Bobby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue in the latest version of captivate so I'm removing the code, but this is definitely a Captivate issue that needs to be submitted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do: Adobe Captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Marisol,

Did you ever get resolution with this issue?

We are experiencing the same issue now, we didn't notcie it in prior years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

It is 8/18/2021 and we just stumbled upon this same exact issue with the "Adobe Captivate Please goto your settings and disable popu blocker" then click Ok to dismiss. It is also strange that "goto" is one word. Regardless, has anyone else experienced this recently? Either way, we've tried the recommended fixes in this thread, any other potential fixes? 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources