• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Positioning problems with multi state buttons (Captivate 9)

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I just tried to use a button with an added state (the text turns green when chapter is done). When I change the position of that button it will jump around whenever I go over it with the mouse cursor. The problem is that I can not change the position for the other states of the button but it is clearly saved independently. Looks like a bug to me.

So I actually can not press the button at all anymore.

Update:

1. This only happens in a responsive project
  2. This problem affects every smartshape turned into a button, not just the ones with an added state.

Message was edited by: Nicolas Reibnitz

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Just to finish this up for now:

The issue seems to be with the project file. Why this happened I can't say.

As Nimmy found out and wrote in an email one can resize the jumping button a little. Then the position is in sync again. After that even new buttons did not show the jumping behaviour anymore. Maybe this helps someone who encounters the same issue at some point.

If someone finds out how this corruption of the project can occur I'd love to know about it.

Thanks to all!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just tried this out and cannot reproduce at all what you explained.

Are you talking about normal buttons, if yes which type? Or are you talking about shape buttons? My test was for shape buttons and for Text buttons

You cannot move the (shape) button itself in any state, neither in the default states nor in new states. You can edit the text, fill and stroke in all states.

I see that the default states for Text buttons do not show up in a responsive project, whereas they do for shape buttons. For additional states, that you can apply with the new Change State command changes in Text/Fill/Stroke will occur. I never did see the movement you are talking about.

Could you tell about which type of button you are talking (I avoid the old normal buttons when possible)? And how did you set up Positioning? Can you show a screenshot of the Object State panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens with smartshapes as well as usual text buttons. Here you can see the three different states of my smartshape button:

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 17.31.00.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 17.31.15.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 17.31.34.png

As you can see the first (normal) state is at a different position as the other states.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed very strange. I know Nimmy asked to load up the project, but I would like to see the cause. What happens when you drag the normal state in the state isolation mode, for me the other states will move to the same position as the Normal state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Can you close Captivate, Delete preferences, relaunch Captivate and try the same scenario and see the issue still happens for the newly inserted buttons?

Thanks,

Nimmy Sukumaran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where were the preferences located again on Mac OS X?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I deleted "/Users/Nicolas/Library/Preferences/Adobe Captivate 9.0" and restarted Captivate, opened the project and inserted a new smartshape button, moved it and previewed the project again: same problem. Button still jumps around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like the issue is specific to the project. After deleting preferences, can you please try creating a new project and try the scenario. Opening a problematic project may lead to the issue again.

Thanks,

Nimmy Sukumaran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually tried that even before deleting the preferences and I had no problems at all. It indeed seems to be a problem with this specific project.

I wonder what caused it though.

I don't want this to happen with a project that is far more advanced in production than this little test project was.

By the way: when you delete the states (over and down) and insert new states (over and down) it fixes the problem for that button. But if you move the button again the problem comes up again as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Can you please provide little more information. Are you seeing the jumping issue in runtime? i.e when you hover mouse over the button  rollover state is displaying in a different place?. Is the button on normal state or in custom state?

Can you please go  to the corresponding state in the edit area and verify its position? In case if it is not same as that of normal state, then can you please save the project, then try resetting state and see it resolves the issue?

Also it will be great if you can share the saved project with us so that we can check the issue at our end. Please upload it to a shared workspace and send me the link at nsukumar@adobe.com

Thanks,

Nimmy Sukumaran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The buttons jump at runtime. Try it! It's fun!

http://sisho-interactive.com/pre-final/jumping-buttons-test/

I sent the project files to Nimmy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to finish this up for now:

The issue seems to be with the project file. Why this happened I can't say.

As Nimmy found out and wrote in an email one can resize the jumping button a little. Then the position is in sync again. After that even new buttons did not show the jumping behaviour anymore. Maybe this helps someone who encounters the same issue at some point.

If someone finds out how this corruption of the project can occur I'd love to know about it.

Thanks to all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to throw in my two cents on this: I had the same problem in a responsive project with all kinds of buttons: As soon as I repositioned a button, the button's other states "stayed behind" which caused the jumping-effect on mouse over that you described - so it's definitely no project-specific problem but a bug. After a while I came up with the same solution than you did (deleting the other states and recreating them), which fixed the positioning-problem for me - once I treated a button that way, I could move it around without causing any syncing problems anymore. Since then I can't reproduce the bug anymore. All existing or added buttons behave normal and can be repositioned freely without any problems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful. I have had the same problem. The solution is to delete the additional states and add them back (e.g. duplicate the existing state and then modify).

Phew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<had the same problem, this is the easiest solution, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a million for the tip about deleting and re-adding the states. This was killing me! I also wish Captivate had a "paste in place" command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all thank you guys for your workaround. Then, what I found was that moving buttons/shapes using your keyboard does avoid that bug and everything works. Try it, DO NOT USE YOUR MOUSE TO MOVE THE SMART OBJECTS, use your keyboard instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For buttons, unclick "Use as button" then re-click it. This worked for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you mhunter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pleasure. After all helpful advice I have received here it is good to be able to contribute

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a lot of trouble with this. I am using imported graphics as buttons. Despite saving the graphics into the button gallery (with the "up", "over" and "down" states) and setting these images as the default buttons in the Object Style Manager, I am being required to update the states of each individual button with every single change or movement—frequently at all the different breakpoints as I'm working in a responsive project. Sometimes I can just reset the button state and it will move to match the "normal" state, but othertimes clicking that completely clears out the uploaded images and I have to browse the gallery to bring them back. Likewise, sometimes I am able to adjust the position of the rollover and down states, and other times it's completely locked down and can't be updated. I can't figure out the logic behind when it works and when it doesn't, but I've restarted my project from scratch several times—and used several different button graphics and even smartshapes and text buttons—and run into this problem eventually with every iteration. Obviously untenable and totally frustrating. I hope somebody has a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are working on this issue. To avoid this issue, Please create a new responsive project, then open your saved project and start working on it. Ideally the shifting issue should not show up in this scenario.

Thanks,

Nimmy Sukumaran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nimmy,

I tried what you suggested about creating a new project and it didn't resolve the issue for me. Resizing the buttons didn't either, unfortunately. Deleting and re-creating all the states for all my buttons is way too time-consuming since I am in the early stages of designing a project and elements need to be shifted around a lot to find the right layout.

Any updates on the issue or other things to try?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Can you please share the sample project where the positioning issue is seen so that we can investigate  the scenario at out end? Please upload it to a shared workspace and send me the link at nsukumar@adobe.com.

You can try 'Reset State' option from the State view>Context menu in case if you don't have made any customizations in other states.

Thanks,

Nimmy Sukumaran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I actually have uploaded it to Dropbox already for other issues I've

encountered that I'm receiving help on from your colleagues.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ygqhz8n2kc2tvrk/AAAFBGv0PaJi2anZUq5G4aora?dl=0

For the record, your suggestion of keeping a new responsive project open

while working on this project has completely solved this problem for me. I

know it's a hack, but it's worked and I really appreciate it!

best,

Rebecca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources