• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing with a trial version

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using the trial version of Captivate 6 for a while, and I'm now seeing published files that won't display - just a black bar in the middle of the screen with a Captivate logo.

Is this because I was publishing from the trial version?  I've republished some of the files in the licensed version of V6 that I now have, and they seem to be fine.

Does anybody know what's going on?

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Trial version of Captivate 6 has a forced expiration date for publishing that can't be changed (usually a month) so you might want to go back in these captivate projects and chech Preferences -> Start and End and you will probably see an expiration date that has already occurred. You can change the date on your computer and the file will still run but if you delivered it to the public that might not be an option.

I had the same issue and found out the hard way.

I am sorry to say but so far CP6 has been a huge dissapointment. I have purchased a license because I am developing iPad apps for my programs and thus far CP6 has completely crashed on my Mac, (it wont publish at all anymore). The user interaction (insert interaction) widgets take for ever to load and then once loaded fail instantly. (found this out after 12 hours of work on my pc yesterday).

The only reason I purchased CP6 is because Adobe killed the SWF to HTML5 converter they had put online for developers to force people to buy CP6.

It is in my opinion that it is highly unprofessional for a company like Adobe to deliver a software that has more bugs than good things. I will now not be able to meet my customers dead-line and will probably have to restart from the beginning using a different software to develop my apps.

I am the owner of a small company, but I still like to deliver programs and apps that actually do what I say they are supposed to but maybe that is just me.

Good luck to you I hope you don't face the same issues I am facing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is infuriating.  We have files we've provided to clients that may be timing out, and because of the time that's gone by, we can't be sure which ones.  We were only using the trial verson in the first place because Adobe messed up our multiple-license purchase.

A little warning when publishing would have been nice.  How hard would it be, when you publish, to flash up a warning that the published files have an expiry date on them?

I have some that I don't seem to be able to fix.  I'm wondering if the underlying template has an expiry date on it that you can't see.

Ugh!

Edit:  I just went to check the Downloads page, and it seems that Adobe is no longer providing Captivate 6 as a trial download - just Captivate 5.5.  Unless it's actually v. 6 and they just haven't updated the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same issue today. I have several Adobe licenses and Adobe Captivate 6.0 is the newest. I have delivered several courses to a client and those courses no longer work as of today! I had the trial of Adobe Captivate 6.0 but purchased the subscription version while in development and published with that version. Apparently, the course did not change that expiry to "None."

I am now on hold with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The expiry date is in the Preferences, and does seem to clear on mine when I opened it in CP6.

The other issue I've had is that the dead links seem to stick, even after I republish a clean version.  That's an IE issue, I think - though I've cleared the temp files, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My expiry date is clear too.

(I'm still on hold with Adobe, too.)  I had these original courses loaded in SCORM Cloud for testing, so I'm going to republish and test there and then maybe change the date on my computer for 35 days out and test again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the expiry date just "appears" clear because this is the full version but the course is somehow retaining the expiry date from the trial? (I can't even remember which courses I may have started out with in the trial version prior to getting the 6.0 license. Using Captivate trials and converting those to the licensed version has never been a problem before.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robin,

If I understand it correct,

1) Created a project in Cp6 trail version.

2) Bought the subscription.

3) Opened the project created with trail version and republished it.

Output generated after you republished in licensed version is expired?

If so, Can you send us the caprivate project as well as published output with licensed version?

You can upload to Acrobat.com and send it to sankaram@adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am the developer of e learning courses in my company.

Since we are new to this industry, We are using Adobe captivate trial version.

As a policy the html files got an expiry date of one month.

If we publish the scrom files in our LMS, will the files stay after the one month

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They will expire. You have to republish with a licensed version and upload

again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jeanrouge,

Are you accessing HTML5 content through webserver? to view interactions, you need to access the content through webserver. Let me know if you still have any issues accessing interactions?

Thanks,

Sankaram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No directly on an IPADas part of the APP. Lucas

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 01:41:53 -0600

To: jeanrouge@live.com

Subject: Publishing with a trial version

Re: Publishing with a trial version

created by Sankaram in Adobe Captivate - View the full discussion

Hi jeanrouge, Are you accessing HTML5 content through webserver? to view interactions, you need to access the content through webserver. Let me know if you still have any issues accessing interactions? Thanks,Sankaram.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe Captivate by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I understand correctly that if you use the TRIAL version of AC6 - the TRIAL time is timestamped in the published files - so they'll expire?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got off the phone with Adobe Captivate technical support. They are unsure of why this is happening and are going to take a look at my .cp file and see if they can figure out the problem.

When I republish, those courses look fine - but for how long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RobinDR, are you using a template?  I'm wondering if a template created in the trial version, and not re-saved in the licensed version, is carried with the file and it's the template that times out.  I've noticed that slides that are part of a template are carried with the file, though not visible - library graphics, for example, will say they are used in a slide that only exists in the template, and has been removed from the presentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marion, no I'm not using a template. Also, what's odd is that I didn't create all of my courses on the same date and yet they all expired sometime last night/this morning. It's as if there was an expiration date pre-loaded  - not just set for 30 days out - and then carried over to my licensed AC6. (Like you, I have multiple licenses. Perhaps that's an issue?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robin, I replied to this a couple of days ago, but it stuck in my iPhone.

Mine timed out on the same day yours did.  I have no way to go back and check the original dates, though (or rather, no time to do it).  Multiple developers - multiple files.

Ugh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marion,

Interesting that ours timed out on the same day. To make it more interesting, I can't find anything significant about that date. It wasn't 30 days from my trial, it wasn't 30 days but the publish dates (which varied), it wasn't 30 days from my licensed purchase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robin, I wondered if it was 60 days (30 + 30) from the release of CP6, i.e., the trial version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marion,

CP6 was released the 15th of June, so expiration message appeared earlier.

Have the same issue, was first on trial and then converted to a licensed version.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

Do you know what date your first expiration appeared?  Did all courses expire at once? My client uses an LMS and users access the courses on Monday 8/6/12 and then could not access them that evening.

Thanks,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a project in V6 trial version, and am still awaiting the upgrade to be installed on my work PC.  Is there anyway I can open the file in V5.5 and re-work it so it is usable at least.  As it may be while before the upgrade gets installed, IT seem to be taking their time with this.

Had I know that it would expire I would NEVER have even contemplated using this to create the project.  A full version means just that, not one that will time out and make your files unusable in 30 days.

Thanks

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I export the file content, so it is accessable, so I can if need be re-create it in version 5.5? Even if it is just screen shots?

Thanks

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You should be able to export the screen captures from the Library. But stuff like Text Captions and other objects will, unfortunately, have to be manually added back into the lower version project.

Pity, really, that Adobe sees no value in providing any ability to work like we are accustomed to using Microsoft products.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barbara, you could publish to print instead of Swf. When you click publish, change the output to print and then select what you'd like printed (handouts, storyboard, caption, etc).

Sadly, you cannot open 6.0 files in 5.5 as Captivate is not backwards compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources