• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing with a trial version

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using the trial version of Captivate 6 for a while, and I'm now seeing published files that won't display - just a black bar in the middle of the screen with a Captivate logo.

Is this because I was publishing from the trial version?  I've republished some of the files in the licensed version of V6 that I now have, and they seem to be fine.

Does anybody know what's going on?

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been thinking about the trials limitations on use in a real world test with students while you are trying out Captivate or the eLEarning Suite. I really think it is important when you are trialing a product to be able to use it in applied settings with real students. Now that I understand the EULA forbids that (admist to not noticing the limitation before - blush), I have a recommendation for others that either don't have the time to make projects that cannot be really used right away, who won't have time to republish once they get the licensed version, or want to test the output with real students: Get a monthly subscription version of the suite. Yes, it will cost about $60 for you to test it out, but you can really use the output and be sure that it is what you want and you can find out how the students (or clients if you are commercial) like it. That is the way I am going to go. I only have a two week window in the near future to try the eLearning Suite and I really don't have time to not be able to use what I make or republish because that window is so tight up against the time for classes to start and i need the output. Otherwise I have to wait until next summer break, 9 months from now when I have plenty of time to explore without requiring a fast turn around of use for what is built. If you are like me, the monthly subscription seems a great way to go while you are checking out the suite features.

Does anyone see any caveats to this plan? I do worry a little about if the suite's Captivate will overwrite my current Captivate (stand alone, licenced monthly subscription) since I have created themes and have plug ins in place in the apllication folder. Does anyone know if those will go away with the suite install or is the suite's Captivate actually a seperate Captivate? Does anyone forsee compllications when one is chosen over the other at the end of the month?

This year is a unique one for me. In past years, the suite purchase was a no brainer. I have to admit to this year feeling a bit more on the fence because of having the Cloud option mixed in. The Cloud has Illustrator (I use this one as much as I use Captivate), Muse, and Edge. plus all of the eLearning Suite goodies I know well. Presenter and the multi-sco packager are the unknown in the suite that I need to learn enough about so that I can be making an informed decision about what best fits my needs.  I am hoping to actually get a solid decision made so I am not in limbo between the two options. Captivate and Illustrator are my two must haves. They are my two work horses that are the foundation of most of my projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tammy, if you keep the licensed Captivate, you'll just lose the roundtripping functionalities of the eLearning Suite. I find them very important, but I'm a Photoshop and Audition user (not Illustrator that much). Just wanted to tell you that. And I fully understand your musings about CC in combi with eLearning Suite (and TechComm Suite, same issue).

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you like Illustrator, then you may find you can use Inkscape instead: http://inkscape.org/showcase/icons/index.php?lang=en

It's a free open-source clone of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rod - Nah, I am a die hard Illustrator fan. Once you have been using Illustrator you get too spoiled to go back to Inkscape. lol

I was totally sold on Illustrator before Captivate came along when I was working in Web Premium to make learning materials for my own children and paint digital portraits (used Photoshop in Web Premium for that). I am willing to spend the money on Illustrator and Captivate. I believe in both products and plan to keep both at the core of my workflow. With them being in different suites or stand alone options it gives me a decision quandary is all. I moved to Mac in December, so my Windows based Captivate and Illustrator are basically doorstops unless I want to keep working in Parallels and Windows for the next many years which I don't. I wil get my eLearning Suite plus an extra prurchase of Illustrator vs Creative Cloud plus Captivate decision made just like everyone else that has favorite software items split between different purchase options. The trial expiration monkeywrench just made the decsion process a tad more 'interesting' (cough, cough) than I had anticipated. lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tammy, I have the same ,,problem" I use Illustrator every day as my favorite graphic aplication and Captivate 6 too - both for elearning projects. Sory, Rod, but Inskcape is sh...t, never can named as ,,clone of Illustrator" !!!

Because AI is not a part of ELS, I have purchased ELS6 + Design Standard CS6, wich also contain InDesign CS6 (too pretty cool for elearning). Too much money, but... In the future I will think about Creative Cloud for AI and INDD and ELS for classic purchasing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really am leaning toward the Cloud plus Captivate. I realize I will lose the round-tripping, but I actually didn't get too dependent on it. I realize I can put Illustrator objects in to Photoshop and then put Photoshop objects in to Captivate but it was a hastle. In the past, I was the entire development department for most of our project materials, so updates coming in from Photoshop files wasn't a big deal since I was the artist as well as the Captivate builder. I am working to change that and get Captivate into the hands of the other homeschool moms that are making courses though. The subscription model has been the key to that. Typically, a mom that wants to offer a course to other homeschool families is only going to be building that course for the summer and then some during the school year that first year of teaching it. The eLearning Suite or even just Captivate by itself was too expensive for us to provide a full boxed copy for such a short term use, I I would try to provide the graphics and the build as much as I had time for since I had the software and background as an artist. Since I build, admin, teach, and play secretary, I have always lived with being spread very thin to try to get everything done. With the subscription model, the moms that would have had to ask me to make their graphics and build can now get their own subscription provided by the project for the time they are building. Some moms find the learning curve too steep and will not take the offer and I still help those, but we have a handful that have taken the offer and have become busy independent builders. Once their course is built and they no longer need the tools for building, the subscription is cancelled and we can turn the funds to the next mom that is building her course. My guess is that there will be some that will fall in love with the tools and even keep their own subscription going for building the resources they want to use in their own family's homeschooling. That is how I started out: the kids and I built materials for our own learning projects. I never liked textbooks for pre-high school. We always learned by researching, hands-on, real world, and creating learning products as our 'proof of learning'. Why let the curriculum makers have all the fun? lol

The next phase of our project, once we get creative moms the tools, is to expand it to offer classes based on the subscriptions for the kids and move from them consuming the curriculum to them making their own like my own family has done it for so many years. This is all possible because of the subscription model. No one would be able to afford to get their feet wet otherwise. In this future goal, I se ethe Cloud as being the key. We will have kids from all cretaive bents to be working with: artistic (art, animators, photographers), musical, dramatic, writers, etc. The Cloud makes sense for that future because it is a one stop place to serve all their needs for creating. Captivate might never be a part of the Cloud, but that is OK. We will provide Captivate at least to the instructors. It would be more ideal though if it were part of what the kids would have in their own hands in the Cloud option. It would be ideal for them to pull all their creative leanings together in to as a core way to present their final 'gallery of learning' as they use it as a vehicle to teach others. InDesign tools and web site building tools will do well too though. I like the direction Muse is heading for furure use with the students as their portfolio core. For the more tech savy students, Dreamweaver. The key is that they are both right there in the same suite which simplifies things immensely. The subscription model makes the whole idea work because the initial start up costs for each family is less and families can stop the subscriptoin when the classes are done so we can get the momentum going for the whole idea to work. It will take years yet, but that is where I want to go. It worked great in my family. I think it can work great in a larger-scale project too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure all of us having the time out problem are happy to hear that your trial download page will "clearly call out that content will expire in 30 days". I would suggest being even more explicit -- state that the published files will not be able to be accessed, and that any published projects will have to be re-published using a purchased version. In this age of over-wordy EULA's it would save a lot of heartache, time and money if Adobe would simply be honest and direct.

Thankfully, I only have to re-publish a handful of projects sent out to clients during my trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources