• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question pool - should i use it?

Feb 06, 2010 Feb 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

i like the idea of question pool which gives the effect of unpredictiveness, however i would like to check with

you guys whether i mas use this or not in particularly my case.

There is a group of students in the session in Adobe Connect. How shall the quiz be organized/setup so that when

the pool is used all the participants (3 of them max if this matters) shall get the same questions from the pool (randomly

picked up of course, however absolutely identical). Is that somehow possible and if yes - how to arrange that?

Thanx a ton for that!

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 08, 2010 Feb 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no comments on that????? :-((((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm thinking it won't work in your case so you should avoid it if you really want all students to see the same questions simultaneously and interact. I'm guessing here that you are using the Share pod? Actually, I'm not certain whether the share pod will allow something like this anyway, as the question pools would exist separately from the main Captivate SWF. I'm not sure whether Connect supports something like that.

Anyhoo, that's my own take. Perhaps others will chime in as well to offer their thoughts.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

thank you for the feedback. I actually thought to organize it in the following way: the teacher opens appropriate SWF with a test and the test itself is finetuned in the way that the questions are taken from the pool (as Captivate has this "pool option"). In this case i thought the system would catch a certain number of questions (quantity is defined by the SWF itself) and suggests them to students.

The final goal is to avoid necessity to create Quizzes each time when new questions are needed - entering them all into the pool would avoid high probability to meet same ones every time.

Am i wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not real clear on what  you're asking, but if you want all particpants to see the same question AND be able to answer it separately, then I think there are crossed issues here...

If you created a CP quiz with a random pool and a user runs that from the browser on their computer, they'll get unique questions and be able to answer (as the CP SWF is actually running 'locally' on their machine).

If you create a CP quiz and show that quiz as an online piece through Connect (or any web meeting software), user's can't interact with it, right? Or is that possible through Rick's 'pod' suggestion?

What you may be able to do is present the questions through Connect then respondants have to 'write down' their answer to submit via email later...or something. At least they all see the same question...

If you can present interactivity through a 'pod'. I don't know how CP is going to register each student's response separately - that just doesn't seem like it'll work...

Curious what you come up with!
Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK guys, let us go the other way round:

i am the teacher and i have a collection of tests made in Captivate somewhere on the server to which i have access (i.e. library of files). I need a group of students to take the same test (i.e. they shall answer same questions). Questions:

• how do i suggest them to take the test - do i push file to the conference room myself somehow or each of the students shall open the file manually?
  • results - i want to see what are each student's results. In % or in quantity of right/wring answers (this should be set up in the test itself, at least i have seen this option in Captivate)

Another 2 questions which are slightly off-topic, however important for me:

• there is a possibility to implement time limit to the test so that one has e.g. 30 minutes to pass it. Is it possible to arrange somehow that i assign a certain time per each question or group of questions?
  • is it possible that the user enters their name in the beginning of the test and when the test has finished it emails results + student's name to the certain email address (teacher's email let's say)

Thank you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 10, 2010 Feb 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Setup the quiz pool to be random, but all questions to be used...so all students see all the same questions but in different order.

So then have each student open the file themselves.

Captivate has two methods for reporting results - to an LMS or via email. The email option doesn't work reliably (search this forum for 'email' to view the many topics' so the LMS method is best. There are ways to 'hack' it so the reports are sent to a database, but you'll need time/effort and some smart javascript and DB programmers to make that happen.

Do you have a Learning Management System? For something like this environment, it sounds ideal to have.

I'm not sure if CP has the ability to time questions - I don't recall seeing that feature and haven't looked for it.

Often an LMS can setup time restrictions for a lesson, but not all do and the way it's done varies.

If CP doesn't allow this natively, you'd likely need to find/author/contract a 'widget' for such a thing.

Perhaps, via a widget, for the name entry. To have that included in the email, I wouldn't count on it (a smart widget may be able to get that info inserted into the report, but then you're relying on CP's email functionality).

Something like this is *definitely* a purpose of using an LMS.

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources