• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reporting user variables for Text Entry Box to LMS

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I made an advanced action to make a custom fill in the blank quiz during the slide using Text Entry Boxes (TEB). I have an advanced action that scores each TEBs and yields a variable (score_total) for total score, by adding each scores earned for all TEBs, and it is a user variable. Is there anyway I can report this variable (score_total) to LMS? Also, I know it is not possible to manipulate system quiz variables, since they're read only, but I was wondering if there is alternative that I can override system variables.

FYI, I made this advanced action, rather than validating user input, because it creates multiple submit buttons corresponds to muliple TEBs. Also, if I were not to use sumbit buttons by using auto submit function, I have to set maximum letters and in that case, user can't type in any words exceeding max letters.

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I know is to use the CpExtra HTML5 widget with this function:

https://widgetking.github.io/cpextra/variables/command.html#xcmndscore

But this would require you to modify how your interaction works so that the object that reports a score to the quiz is actually the button that the learner clicks to execute a Conditional Action.  Based on the results of this action the CpExtra function changes the score that the button reports to the quiz.  In this way you can dynamically affect the score.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with Rod that the CpExtra widget could help, it will spare you the problem of plunging into JavaScript.

However I am bit confused by your last paragraph. Scoring a TEB is very easy if you validate them, and that would have been an option. You don't have to show the Submit button, you can have the learner use a shortcut key. Did you try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I've tried it. But the thing is if you have multiple TEBs, user have to press shortcut for each of the TEBs. That would make it hard to submit answers compared to submitting all the answers at once using one submit button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do the users move between the Text Entry Boxes? It can be with a shortcut key (Tab?) or by clicking in the next TEB.  Anyway they have to do something to move on... that is what I had in mind. Of course that will validate each TEB immediately after moving on, not all at once at the end. But it will avoid more complicated setups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In that case, students won't be able to double check their answers before submitting (or moving on to the next blank by pressing shortcut key like "tab"). On the other hand, if you have one submit button that turns in answer at once at the end, it will prevent students turning in answers without mistake. I wish there is any other way I can do this in a more simple way so I can have lesser time to edit per video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources